Title and statement of responsibility area
University of Waterloo, New Library, Physics Building
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
August 25, 1960 (Creation)
- Kitchener-Waterloo Record
Physical description area
20 photographs : b&w negatives ; 6 x 6 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on February 9, 1878 and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in January of 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Company and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by William (Ben) V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, William D. Euler (later Senator for North Waterloo) and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. With that event, the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.
The Berliner Journal began in December 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen Street south, Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his son William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by William D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.
In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King Street west to a new building at 30 Queen Street north where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. In 1998, The Record was sold to Sun Media Corporation, and then in March 1999, to Torstar Corporation. In January 2005, the paper moved its offices to Market Square on King Street east in Kitchener's downtown core, and on March 11, 2008, the name was changed to the Waterloo Region Record.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Envelope scanned as TIF files.
Added to Waterloo Digital Library.
60-1296_007 added to Wikimedia Commons as Doris Lewis (1960) January 2022.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
60-1296_007, 60-1296_010 and 60-1296_014 appeared in the September 1, 1960 edition of newspaper as part of the article: "U of W Creates Library On a Budget of $25,000."
Photo caption from published versions of 60-1296_007 and 60-1296_010 : "BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS! - Mrs. Marshall Lewis (left), U of W librarian, checks an 18th century edition of a John Milton work donated to the library by a private citizen, a source that can provide out-of-the-way titles. Mrs. Lynn Hemmerich (right) unpacks books as they arrive from dealers, the major source."
Photo caption from published version of 60-1296_014: "LABORIOUS PROCESS - Establishing a library involves time, diligence and patience, University of Waterloo's library staff find. The key point in the operation is providing a proper catalogue card, being performed here by one of the school's two cataloguers, Miss Jacqueline Hunter (left). Other members of the staff type and file the cards and place the volumes in proper order in the right section."
Includes several images of Doris Lewis holding rare books.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
- Lewis, Doris E. (Subject)