Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
September 19, 1951 (Creation)
- Kitchener-Waterloo Record
Physical description area
10 photographs : b&w copy negatives ; 8 x 10 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on Feb. 9, 1878, and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in Jan. 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Co. and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by W.V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, W.D. Euler and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. Thus the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.
The Berliner Journal began in Dec. 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen St. S in Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his some William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by W.D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.
In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King St. W. to a new building at Queen and Duke St., 30 Queen St. N., where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. (Source: Kitchener-Waterloo Record Centennial Souvenir, Feb. 8, 1978. For the later history of this paper, see this Wikipedia article.)
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
51-2677_001 and 51-2677_002 appeared on Page 13 of the Saturday, September 22, 1951 special edition of the newspaper as part of the article: "Kitchener, Waterloo Key Points In Ontario's Trucking Industry."
Photo caption from published version of 51-2677_001: "TRUCK HOSPITAL - For Raitar Transport, the Twin City is head office and centre of operations. They have 113 trailers and 90 tractors (cabs) on the road. Bob Diebel, one of many mechanics at the Bridgeport Rd. garage, is shown working on one of the heavy transport cab engines."
Photo caption from published version of 51-2677_002: "SHIPPING LINE - One of many transports which leave the Twin City at all hours of the day and night is shown leaving the Raitar warehouse, Bridgeport Rd., Waterloo. Trucks like these carry a high volume of goods to distributing points throughout Ontario."
51-2677_008 appeared on Page 16 of the Saturday, September 22, 1951 special edition of the newspaper as part of the article: "Chemicals Play Key Role in Living Today."
Photo caption from published version of 51-2677_008: "INDUSTRIAL MIGHT - The vastness of the industrial might of the Twin Cities is typified by the huge carbon black towers of the Dominion Tire plant on Strange St. Over 5,000 Twin City people are employed at jobs in the three manufacturing plants."
51-2677_004 and 51-2677_005 appeared on Page 20 of the Saturday, September 22, 1951 special edition of the newspaper as part of the article: "K-W Homes Are Still Among Canada's Best."
Photo caption from published version of 51-2677_004: "STREET OF NEW HOMES - With industry expanding, Kitchener's population has increased to over 44,000 during the past year. New streets, like Talbot St., above, have opened in every ward with new homes mushrooming in the outlying districts."
Photo caption from published version of 51-2677_005: "WATERLOO DEVELOPMENT - One of several housing developments in the Twin City is the Lincoln Heights housing enterprise off Bridgeport Rd. in Waterloo, where 50 new homes are under construction by Dunker Construction Co."
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
- Dominion Rubber Company (Subject)