Title and statement of responsibility area
Galt Girls' Training School
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Kitchener-Waterloo Record
Physical description area
10 photographs : b&w copy negatives ; 10 x 8 cm and 8 x 10 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on Feb. 9, 1878, and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in Jan. 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Co. and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by W.V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, W.D. Euler and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. Thus the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.
The Berliner Journal began in Dec. 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen St. S in Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his some William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by W.D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.
In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King St. W. to a new building at Queen and Duke St., 30 Queen St. N., where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. (Source: Kitchener-Waterloo Record Centennial Souvenir, Feb. 8, 1978. For the later history of this paper, see this Wikipedia article.)
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
53-4707_002, 53-4707_003, 53-4707_004, 53-4707_005, 53-4707_006, 53-4707_007 and 53-4707_010 appeared on Page 15 of the Saturday, November 28, 1953 edition of the newspaper as part of the article: "Problem Girls Just Girls With Problems."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4707_002: "USEFUL TRAINING - The girls are given a chance to learn useful work so they may secure good jobs when they leave. Miss Jean Price is shown teaching typing."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4707_003: "KINDLY INTERVIEW - Miss Jane MacNiven, of the four social workers, gives a kindly interview to a girl just admitted to Ontario Training School for Girls in Galt."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4707_004: "HAIRDRESSING CLASS - The girl at right is begin given professional training in hairdressing. Her "clients" are other girls who may visit the class once a week."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4707_005: "LAUNDRY DUTY - Certain girls are chosen each week to do washing and ironing. Here is a section of the laundry where they learn the care of different fabrics."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4707_006: "MEALTIME - A different group is picked periodically to serve the meals in the well-lighted and cheery dining room. Here three girls learn how to prepare a table setting."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4707_007: "MUSIC TIME - Each of the four residences has a common room with an inexpensive piano and radio for periods of daily entertainment. Three girls have a jam session."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4707_010: "$2,000,000 INSTITUTION - The 72-acre school was erected for $2,000,000 and costs $250,000 yearly to operate. At the top of the circular drive is the administration building and auditorium. At left are residences, Drake, Nelson and Collingwood. At right is Beatty and the infirmary. At the extreme top right is the powerhouse, and the long, low building is the skating rink. During the war, when it was known as HMCS Conestogo, 6,000 Wrens trained there."