File 51-2503 - Fire, Hespeler

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Fire, Hespeler

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • September 15, 1951 (Creation)
    Kitchener-Waterloo Record
  • September 15, 1951 (Photography)
    Schmidt, Garf

Physical description area

Physical description

  • 6 photographs : b&w copy negatives ; 8 x 10 cm
  • 1 photograph : b&w negative ; 8 x 10 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on Feb. 9, 1878, and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in Jan. 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Co. and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by W.V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, W.D. Euler and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. Thus the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.

The Berliner Journal began in Dec. 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen St. S in Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his some William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by W.D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.

In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King St. W. to a new building at Queen and Duke St., 30 Queen St. N., where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. (Source: Kitchener-Waterloo Record Centennial Souvenir, Feb. 8, 1978. For the later history of this paper, see this Wikipedia article.)

Custodial history

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Public Domain

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

Photo missing from envelope appeared on Page 1 of the Monday, September 17, 1951 edition of the newspaper.

General note

Photo caption from published photo [see 51-2503_001 for closest version]: "TWO FACTORIES BURN - The Hall Foundry Co. and Standard Castings and Manufacturing Co., two Hespeler factories located side by side on Sheffield St., were gutted by fire Saturday. Only the brick walls were left standing, as this aerial photo shows. Damage is estimated at $250,000. (Other pictures and story on page 3.)"

General note

Photos missing from envelope and 51-2503_007 appeared on Page 3 of the Monday, September 17, 1951 edition of the newspaper as part of the article: "$250,000 Fire Destroys Two Plants at Hespeler."

General note

Photo caption accompanying photos on Page 3: "FIRE DESTROYS PLANTS - Two Hespeler industries, the Hall Foundry Co. and the Standard Castings and Manufacturing Co. were totally destroyed by fire Saturday. The $250,000 fire, which is believed to have started in the welding department of Standard Castings, spread to the nearby Hall Foundry and raged out of control despite the efforts of Hespeler and Preston firemen. Smoke, which poured from the blazing buildings show in photo at left [no suitable substitute], was visible for 20 miles from the scene and attracted large crowds. In centre photo [see 51-2503_006 for closest version] the gaunt walls of the foundry are shown during the blaze. In the twilight of smoke 25 Hespeler and Preston firemen battle the inferno in photo at right [51-2503_007]."

General note

Photo credit under three photo spread on Page 3 reads: "Garf Schmidt: Record Staff Photos." Unclear if Schmidt was working for the paper of if photos by Schmidt and Record staff were used.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres