File 51-2224 - Autry, Gene

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Autry, Gene

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • October 16, 1951 (Creation)
    Kitchener-Waterloo Record
  • October 17, 1951 (Publication)
    Kitchener-Waterloo Record
  • October 19, 1951 (Publication)
    Kitchener-Waterloo Record

Physical description area

Physical description

5 photographs : b&w copy negatives ; 8 x 10 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on Feb. 9, 1878, and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in Jan. 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Co. and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by W.V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, W.D. Euler and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. Thus the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.

The Berliner Journal began in Dec. 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen St. S in Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his some William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by W.D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.

In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King St. W. to a new building at Queen and Duke St., 30 Queen St. N., where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. (Source: Kitchener-Waterloo Record Centennial Souvenir, Feb. 8, 1978. For the later history of this paper, see this Wikipedia article.)

Custodial history

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Envelope scanned as TIF files February 2020.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Public Domain

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

51-2224_001 and a photo missing from envelope appeared on Page 3 of the Wednesday, October 17, 1951 edition of the newspaper as part of the article: "Gene Autry Brings Sunshine Into Life of Girl With Fractured Jaw."

General note

Photo caption from published version of 51-2224_001 and missing photo: "THRILLS YOUNGSTERS - Olga Lizun, 15, who was critically injured in a car-truck accident last weekend, had her wish fulfilled when Gene Autry took time to sing to her a song at K-W Hospital. In lower photo [see 51-2224_005 for closest version] Autry chats with lads from the St. Agatha Orphanage who attended the matinee. Seated, left to right, are Stan Prudniko, Raymond Charkowsky and Raymond Musgrave. Bob Hazelwood is standing beyond."

General note

51-2224_003 appeared on Page 5 of the Friday, October 19, 1951 edition of the newspaper as part of a contest winners announcement.

General note

Caption that accompanied published version of 51-2224_003: "Contest winners, Ronnie Hinschberger, Garry Schwindt, John Wells, John Quinn, Gordon Schaus, Marlene Wagner, Shirley Neuman, Laurian Francis, Sheila Teercott and Michael Hinschberger are shown with Gene Autry; and the autographed records of Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer which were presented by the Paul Berg Music Centre. Their interview with Gene will be broadcast on our regular Kiddie Korner Kontest tonight at 6:15 p.m. over CKCR."

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres