Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Kitchener-Waterloo Record
Physical description area
20 photographs : b&w negatives ; 10 x 8 cm and 8 x 10 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on February 9, 1878 and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in January of 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Company and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by William (Ben) V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, William D. Euler (later Senator for North Waterloo) and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. With that event, the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.
The Berliner Journal began in December 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen Street south, Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his son William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by William D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.
In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King Street west to a new building at 30 Queen Street north where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. In 1998, The Record was sold to Sun Media Corporation, and then in March 1999, to Torstar Corporation. In January 2005, the paper moved its offices to Market Square on King Street east in Kitchener's downtown core, and on March 11, 2008, the name was changed to the Waterloo Region Record.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Envelope scanned as TIF files September 2019.
Added to Waterloo Digital Library.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
53-4355_003, 53-4355_007, 53-4355_008, 53-4355_009, 53-4355_010, 53-4355_012, 53-4355_013, 53-4355_014 and 53-4355_019 appeared on Page 11 of the Saturday, January 23, 1954 edition of the newspaper as part of the feature: "Prosperity Said Preordained - Settler's First Aim of Building Comfortable Home Still Remains."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4355_003: "GREEK REVIVAL - This Preston home, owned by Mrs. Frank Drummond, was built by Sir Adam Beck's father. It is pure Greek classic revival. The Greek classical lines are found mainly at the front door and eaves."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4355_007: "SLIT BARN - Built in 1850, the slit barn on M.W. Keefer's Blair estate, on the homestead occupied by W.F. Hussey, is the only one of its kind in Waterloo County. The slits are four inches wide outside and one foot inside. Their purpose is to lessen danger of spontaneous combustion in hay and in the early days of Indian fighting."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4355_008: "REAL GEM - The massive end on the hotel at the main corner of St. Agatha is termed authentically a nearly perfect Pennsylvanian Georgian architectural gem. It is built of painted fieldstones and red brick. The original doors and windows are intact."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4355_009: "OLDTIME INN - Houses like the one owned by Ray Scheifele of Contestogo once served as roadhouses or inns for travellers. It has a classical doorway with cove cupola. It is said as near to perfect Pennsylvania Georgian as possible to achieve."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4355_010: "EARLY ARCHITECTURE - George Steiner's home in St. Jacobs is typical Pennsylvania Georgian architecture of the type used by the Moravians. It is cottage type construction with fieldstone lower storey and handmade brick upper storey. The lower windows are originals. Early glassmakers had facilities for producing only small-sized panes."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4355_012: "IT'S DIFFERENT - An abrupt change of pace is noted in the 19th century romantic type house owned by Thomas Simlet of Conestogo. Of Italo-French design, it has campanille tower with mansarded cap supported by brackets of ornate wood."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4355_013: "AMERICAN GEORGIAN - The finest example of American Georgian architecture in the district is at the Blue Moon Hotel, Petersburg. Greek classic revival doorways and curved wood fanlights are features of this type."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4355_014: "SALTBOX TYPE - Albert Strauss owns this American Georgian class home in St. Jacobs. It is of the austere, primitive design known to architects as the saltbox type."
Photo caption from published version of 53-4355_019: "FIELDSTONE HOME - The Nelson Doering home, RR 1, Baden, is pure Pennsylvania Dutch fieldstone construction with plastered white facade in ordinary Georgian."
Steiner house is located at 1401 King Street North in St. Jacobs, ON.
The St. Agatha hotel is located at 1744 Erb's Road in Baden, ON.
The slit barn is located in Cambridge on the grounds of what is now the Rare Charitable Research Reserve.
The Blue Moon Hotel is located at 1677 Snyder's Rd E, Petersburg, ON.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
- North America » Canada » Ontario » Waterloo Region » Baden
- North America » Canada » Ontario » Waterloo Region » Cambridge
- North America » Canada » Ontario » Waterloo Region » Conestogo
- North America » Canada » Ontario » Waterloo Region » Petersburg
- North America » Canada » Ontario » Waterloo Region » St. Agatha
- North America » Canada » Ontario » Waterloo Region » St. Jacobs