Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
December 06, 1953 (Creation)
- Kitchener-Waterloo Record
Physical description area
3 photographs : b&w copy negatives ; 8 x 10 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on Feb. 9, 1878, and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in Jan. 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Co. and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by W.V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, W.D. Euler and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. Thus the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.
The Berliner Journal began in Dec. 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen St. S in Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his some William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by W.D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.
In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King St. W. to a new building at Queen and Duke St., 30 Queen St. N., where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. (Source: Kitchener-Waterloo Record Centennial Souvenir, Feb. 8, 1978. For the later history of this paper, see this Wikipedia article.)
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Envelope scanned as TIF files September 2019.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photos, along with one missing from envelope, appeared in an advertisement for Antonelli's on Page 10 of the Saturday, December 12, 1953 edition of the newspaper.
Photo caption from published version of 53-4353_001: "MR. ANTONELLI AND STAFF [left to right] Gerald Dubrick Assistant Junior Teacher; Bill [Boettinger?], Assistant Junior Teacher; M.E. Antonelli, Principal; Marlene Dubrick, Junior Teacher; Thelma Jacob, Junior Teacher; Shirley Dubrick, Senior Teacher - Mr. Antonelli is pictured here with his staff of certified teachers, all of whom he has trained personally. The setting is one of the newly-erected studio at 8 Betzner Ave., Kitchener"
Photo caption that accompanied 53-4353_002, 53-4353_003 and missing photo: "One of Mr. Antonelli's favourite projects over the years has been the organization of accordion bands. Many music lovers both locally and elsewhere have had the privilege of attending concerts given by Mr. Antonelli. It is interesting to note that under Mr. Antonelli's leadership these bands, like his individual students, have maintained an extremely high standard of proficiency, having taken first place every year for the last four at the Waterloo Band Festival."
Antonelli's was a music school and supply business located at 8 Betzner Ave. in Kitchener that also operated locations in Guelph and London.