Title and statement of responsibility area
William Dickson collection.
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1818, 1831-1834, 1839 (Creation)
- Dickson, William
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
William Dickson was born in Dumfries, Scotland, in 1769. Dickson was a legislative councillor of Upper Canada, politician, colonizer and founder of Galt, Ontario. He immigrated to Canada in 1792 and later became a lawyer in Niagara. In 1815, after having served as an officer in the Canadian militia in the War of 1812, he was named a member of the Legislative Council of Upper Canada. It was also in 1815 that he purchased the township of Dumfries and began the process of bringing in settlers. From 1827 to 1836, he lived in Galt, Upper Canada. He returned to Niagara in 1836 and died there February 19, 1846.
Scope and content
Collection consists of seven legal documents regarding the sale of land in the Township of Dumfries in Southern Ontario.
1. Deed of land between Aaron White and Joseph Dorland -100 acres (Hallowell Township) – June 5, 1818
2. Deed of land between between William Dickson and William Otis - 50 acres – May 9, 1831
3. Deed of land between between William Dickson and John Campbell - 315 1/3 acres – July 14, 1832
4. Deed of land between between William Dickson and Jacob Kinsey - 150 acres – April 25, 1833
5. Deed of land between between William Dickson and John Fraser - 50 acres – October 1, 1834
6. Deed of land between between William Dickson - Levi Howell, 25 acres – April 16, 1834
7. Receipt for Joseph Pettengall from the Commissioner for Crown Lands - 100 acres (Hillier Township) – June 6 1839
Extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space as occupied by the fonds.
Immediate source of acquisition
Source of acquisition unknown.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Deed of land between between William Dickson and John Fraser - 50 acres – October 1, 1834 digitized August 2019.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Fonds relating to William Dickson are also located at the City of Cambridge Archives, (Dickson Papers: Inventory / P. McKegney, (G9017 Rare Book)); Trent University Archives (ULM Suppl. 1979-80); and the Archives of Ontario (ULM).
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Added to database 2014.
Revised by PH in September 2018.
Reviewed by DR November 2018.