Scrapbook containing loose and pasted-in clippings, ephemera, a photograph, and typed transcripts of speeches made by Dr. S.F. Leavine both during the mayoralty contest of 1949, and after his nomination as Mayor in December, 1949. Clippings describe the progress of the 1949 mayoral race Leavine and Ald. Harry Ainlay; advertising and promotional materials related to Leavine's campaign; coverage of Leavine's win, including reactions from his wife Desta and their two daughters; and Leavine's legacy following his death in 1958.
Loose materials in this scrapbook include clippings, some of which are undated, and others which are dated 1954-1955, and 1957-1958. These clippings report on Dr. S.F. Leavine's speeches in the Legislature as M.P.P for Waterloo North. They report on Leavine's recommendation that a royal commission be set up to investigate the whole field of curative arts and sciences. Another article reports on Leavine's statement to the Legislature that monopolistic practices among local hospitals are destroying the effectiveness of the general practitioner. In another article it is reported that Dr. S.F. Leavine stresses the need for more roads in the Kitchener-Waterloo area.
Among the scrapbook materials are clippings and a telegram relating to Leavine's campaign for re-election as M.P.P for Waterloo North in 1955. The telegram is dated June 10, 1955 and expresses the condolences of Hon. Leslie Frost on Dr. S.F. Leavine's non-reelection. In 1956 Dr. S.F. Leavine returned to civic politics as an alderman and several clippings in this scrapbook relate to his term of office as alderman from 1956-1957. Other loose clippings relate to Leavine's mayorality campaigns in 1949 and 1957.
The scrapbook also contains clippings which report on Leavine's admission to the K-W Hospital in 1958 following a heart seizure, while others are commemorative in nature, including an obituary, following his death on July 27, 1958. Two other articles report that Kitchener's new health department headquarters are to be named after Leavine. Present at the official opening of these new headquarters were Dr. G. E. Duff Wilson, medical officer of health; Dr. Desta Leavine, who unveiled a portrait of her father; Health Minister Dymond; and Dr. Louis V. Lang, health board chairman.
Also in the file is a photograph from [1950?] that appeared in the Kitchener-Waterloo Record.