Title and statement of responsibility area
Central Ontario Art Association fonds.
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Central Ontario Art Association
Physical description area
ca. 1.96 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Central Ontario Art Association (COAA) is a non-profit organization that was formed in 1954 as the Five Counties Art Association with the goal of bringing together artists and existing artist groups in Halton, Peel, Dufferin, Wellington, and Waterloo counties in order to provide greater opportunities in art instruction, encourage art appreciation, pool area efforts and resources, develop leadership in visual art, and foster inter-group cooperation and participation.
In the early 1950s, Lloyd Minshall, District Representative of the Community Programs Branch of the Ontario Department of Education, and Gordon Couling, art professor at the Macdonald Institute of the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph, determined that it would be beneficial to foster cooperation among artists in the region. In 1954 they organized a series of meetings for art instructors that led to the formation of the Five Counties Art Association Teachers’ Council, which organized an exhibition and several sketching trips that year. In 1957, the organization became an open members’ association, with the teachers’ council responsible for instruction and learning opportunities and the jurying of exhibitions, and the association responsible for organizing activities and exhibitions. In 1964, the association changed its name to Central Ontario Art Association to incorporate an expanding membership, and in 1967, the executives of the teachers’ council and the association were merged to become one entity.
The COAA is administered by an executive consisting of a president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer, past president, and committee chairs. Committees in existence over the association’s history include: Membership, Program (or Workshops), Exhibition, Nominating, and Bulletin/Newsletter. In the early years, district representatives (or advisory directors) were also involved in administration. The association was originally sponsored by the Ontario Department of Education, Community Programs Branch, and also received grants and assistance at various times from the Art Institute of Ontario and the Ontario Council for the Arts.
The main activities of the COAA have remained consistent over the years. These activities, through which the COAA accomplishes its goals, include workshops and sketching trips, annual juried and members’ exhibitions, and the publication of a newsletter. An annual weekend of workshops, as well as the annual general meeting, is held with the COAA’s sister association, the East Central Ontario Art Association, at the Geneva Park YMCA Conference Centre on Lake Couchiching. Today, the COAA encompasses over 300 artist networks.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records documenting most aspects of the development of the Central Ontario Art Association, the events and activities of the association, and its administration and membership in the period from its formation in 1954 to about 2000, with some gaps in coverage. The records were accumulated by various members and some organization was imposed by the association for the purpose of researching its history.
Fonds includes correspondence, membership lists, flyers, announcements, programs, newsletters, exhibitors' catalogues, minutes, reports, the association constitution and by-laws, histories, forms and questionnaires, clippings, lectures and articles, photocopied information, photographs, slides, and other material.
Fonds is arranged in the following series:
Series 1: Administration and Membership
Series 2: Files of Gordon Couling
Series 3: Events and Exhibitions
Series 4: Publications
Series 5: Subject Files
Series 6: History Working Files
Series 7: Photographs.
The extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space occupied by the fonds.
Includes 351 photographs, 110 slides, 74 negatives, and 1 computer disk.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated in 2010.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some files may be restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright University of Waterloo Library.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Arranged and described by Anita Streicher (June, 2011).
Revised by DR July 2020.