Title and statement of responsibility area
Scene Outside Kitchener Market, 1890's?
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1967, 1979 (Reproduction)
- Kitchener-Waterloo Record
[ca. 1890-1900] (Creation)
Physical description area
1 photograph : b&w ; 21 x 26 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
Copy print, Frederick and Duke looking toward King St. In Canada's Centennial, 27 June 1967, p. 27
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Scanned as TIF file December 2019.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Reproduced on Page 25 of the June 22, 1967 edition of the newspaper, titled Canada's Centennial, of the as part of the article: "'67 Kitchener: Joy for Great-Grandmother".
Caption from published 1967 version of photo: "POPULAR SPOT - Kitchener's first market was operated in the town hall until a building was erected behind the hall. This picture shows the market on the Frederick Street side. In the background in the old post office which was torn down in 1965, long after two others had been erected. This picture was taken around 1900."
Reproduced on front page of the June 21, 1979 anniversary edition of the newspaper, titled Kitchener 125 Years.
Caption from published 1979 version of photo: "KITCHENER'S TWICE-REPLACED DOWNTOWN CORE - Downtown Kitchener has gone through a series of transformations from the scene in the top photo [SCA119-GA92-9-73], taken in the 1890s, to the scene today, shown below [not in envelope]. Landmarks in the 1890s include the old farmers' market (replaced twice since then), the original city hall (torn down in 1921 to make way for the second city hall, which, in turn, was torn down in 1973), and the old [Benton Street] post office. The current Market Square in the bottom photo occupies the site once occupied by the two former markets and city halls."