File 33 - John Roat's Commercial Hotel After Fire, Site of the Walper Hotel, ca. 1892.

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

John Roat's Commercial Hotel After Fire, Site of the Walper Hotel, ca. 1892.

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

File

Reference code

SCA119-GA92-9-33

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1892-1903 (Creation)
    Creator
    Kitchener-Waterloo Record

Physical description area

Physical description

3 copy negatives : b&w ; 8 x 10 cm and 10 x 8 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on February 9, 1878 and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in January of 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Company and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by William (Ben) V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, William D. Euler (later Senator for North Waterloo) and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. With that event, the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.

The Berliner Journal began in December 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen Street south, Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his son William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by William D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.

In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King Street west to a new building at 30 Queen Street north where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. In 1998, The Record was sold to Sun Media Corporation, and then in March 1999, to Torstar Corporation. In January 2005, the paper moved its offices to Market Square on King Street east in Kitchener's downtown core, and on March 11, 2008, the name was changed to the Waterloo Region Record.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Copy negatives from an old photograph ang Page 255 of W. V. Uttley's book "A history of Kitchener, Ontario" (1975). Taken by Sebastian Fischer, the photo is of John Roat's Commercial Hotel, at the corner of Queen and King, following a fire. One of the negatives includes a photograph of the first ambulance with nurses. Also included in the file are typed captions about the hotel and the ambulance that read:

"John Roat's Commercial Hotel after fire

site of Walper

destroyed 1892, after the fire, site bought
by Abel Walper of Zurich, Ont

sign says Livery Stable

(see Uttley History of Kit ..page 255)

2) same pic from book

3) same pic /with first ambulance
& nurses..."

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Scanned as TIF files November 2019.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Public Domain

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Cropped version of GA92-9-33_003 appeared on Page 84 of the June 21, 1979 anniversary edition of the newspaper titled "Kitchener 125 Years" as part of an article titled: "Hospital had problem finding patients."

General note

Photo caption from published 1979 version of GA92-9-33_003: "Berlin-Waterloo Hospital got its first ambulance in 1901 from its ladies' auxiliary. The horse-drawn ambulance continued in service until 1920."

General note

Cropped version of GA92-9-33_003 appeared on Page 52 of the June 22, 1967 edition of the newspaper, titled Canada's Centennial, of the as part of the article: "Citizens Raised Another $150 - $50 Wasn't Enough for Celebration."

General note

Photo caption from published 1967 version of GA92-9-33_003: "FIRST AMBULANCE - Dr. D. S. Bowlby (centre) and nurses of the K-W Hospital are shown with the ambulance, a two-horse coach, about 1903. Shown are (left to right) Miss MacFadyen, Miss Fyfe, Miss Duncan, Dr. Bowlby, Florence Greybill, Miss Betzner."

General note

GA92-9-33_002 appeared on Page 50 of the June 22, 1967 edition of the newspaper, titled Canada's Centennial, of the as part of the article: "3-Cent Beer and Free Food: Taverns Once Forums."

General note

Photo caption from 1967 published version of GA92-9-33_002: "FIRE-LEVELLED HOTEL - The Commercial Hotel, which stood on the Walper Hotel locale at King and Queen Streets, was razed by fire (top photo) [GA92-9-33_002] in 1892 and the ruins were then torn down. Men and horses (bottom photo) [not included in file] are shown clearing the site."

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

20191108: Dates of creation changed from [19--] to 1892 and 1903 based on contents and captions of published version(s) of photos. - DR

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres