Showing 26 results

Archival description
Company of Neighbours fonds. Waterloo
Print preview View:

Waterloo, Ont.: Silver Lake, Waterloo Park

View of Waterloo looking south from the top of Central School at King and Central (formerly Church) streets. Albert Street is at top right and Silver Lake in Waterloo Park can be seen behind Albert Street. Spring Street is in the foreground. Written on verso: one storey house with two chimneys still on Albert St.

Company of Neighbours

Tobacco shop: interior.

Photo shows interior of Strum Brother's Tobacco and Barber, with five men, a spittoon, a stuffed raccoon, and a moose head. John Simpson is on the far right in his firefighter uniform. As well, a print of Seagram's King's Plate winners is visible in the top right corner. John Simpson is listed as a member of the Waterloo Fire Department in the 1913 Vernon Directory, but does not appear in the 1927 directory.
Strum Brothers Tobacco and Barber shop located on King Street just south of the railway tracks in 1913 Vernon Directory.

Company of Neighbours

Seagram's distillery.

Photograph taken from a newspaper print? Exterior of the distillery and flour mill built in 1857 at corner of Erb and Caroline Streets. Note the horse drawn wagon.

Company of Neighbours

Picnic at Waterloo Park.

This photograph shows a group of Waterloo merchants/businessmen picnicking at Lexington Flats. Wooden table and benches can be seen and dishes and bottles on the table.
Left to right; (?), Albert Hergott, (?), (?), (?), (?), David Kuntz, (?), (?), (?), John Koehler, Edward F. Seagram, Daniel "Biddle" Bohlender.

Company of Neighbours

Barber shop exterior.

Jacob Brandt standing in front of his Brandt's Ideal Shaving Parlour which is decorated with greenery, welcome signs and British and American flags possibly for the Saengerfest celebrations. Unidentified man standing to the left. Shaving parlour located at the rear of the Bank of Toronto, on north-west corner of King and Erb Streets next to the Post Office building.
Listed in 1901 and 1907 Vernon Directory, but not in 1913.

Company of Neighbours

Unidentified: group portrait in Waterloo Park?: Waterloo, Aug. 11, 1907.

Group portrait of people gathered for an outdoors event. In the foreground are men and women sitting on makeshift benches, in the background are several individuals on a podium with a large lectern, surmounted by an arbour of branches. The whole group is in a wooded area. The photograph is annotated on the back: "Waterloo, Ont., Aug. 11/07" with a monogram, possibly CKR[itzer?]. It is possible the photograph commemorates an event connected to the 50th anniversary of the incorporation of the Village of Waterloo in 1857.

Company of Neighbours

Waterloo Meat Market, King St.: shop interior.

Interior of John B. Fischer's butcher shop located at King Street north. Note ceiling fan, carcasses hanging and the preparation area with two unidentified butchers. Two men in suits standing on left side. John B. Fischer served as Mayor of Waterloo in 1908 and again 1912-1913.
Butcher shop opened in 1874. 1913 and 1927 Vernon Directories list an Edgar J. Fischer, Butcher in this same location.

Company of Neighbours

Tobacco shop: interior.

Photo shows interior Strum Brothers Tobacco and Barber. The stuffed raccoon, and moose head are gone, but the print of Seagram's King's Plate winners is still there.

Company of Neighbours

King St., Waterloo.

This photograph, ca. 1900, shows a woman crossing the West side of King St. North in Waterloo. The street railway tracks are clearly visible, as are the storefronts with awnings down. The most visible sign is "J. Schondelmayer." A German flag is hanging from an upper window and store fronts appear to be decorated with greenery.

Company of Neighbours

Putting down tracks on King St., Waterloo.

Photograph of men working on a rail line along King Street at Erb Street. The shop front of H.A. Zoellner, Druggist, is visible as well as a telephone (telegraph?) pole. Possibly construction of tracks for electric street railway between Kitchener and Waterloo.

Company of Neighbours

Waterloo Fire Hall with horse-drawn fire trucks.

Photo of a postcard depicting members of the Waterloo Fire Department with horse-drawn vehicles in front of fire station. John Simpson seated on fire wagon on left.
The first automotive pumper fire truck was acquired on June 11, 1927. The fire hall was demolished in 1967.

Company of Neighbours

Roesch's Grocery Store, King and Dupont, Waterloo: l-r, Rolly Plantz, Andy Roesch.

Interior of Roesch's Grocery store with Andrew Roesch on the left and Roland Planz on the right.
Roesch's obituary states that he and his wife adopted his four nephews Harry, Roland, Charles and Clayton Plantz [sic], so this is likely his nephew (spelled Planz on the photo) with him. Building located at 21 King Street North, west side south of Dupont Street.

Company of Neighbours

Steam-powered pump of fire engine.

Exterior of gun and locksmith shop of Louis Hedderich located on King Street north. Horse-drawn wagon in front with man in driver's seat. Louis Hedderich in 1889 Directory, not in 1899 Directory

Company of Neighbours