Collection SCA436-GA509 - Glass plate negative collection.

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Glass plate negative collection.

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • ca. 1900 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

21 glass plate negatives : b&w ; 22 x 17 cm or smaller

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

Scope and content

21 glass plate negatives showing people and buildings around the former town of Newbridge, Ontario.

Notes area

Physical condition

Negatives are beginning to flake and should be handled with care. Some negatives have chips and one is broken into two pieces. Whenever possible a digital surrogate should be used.

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated in 2023 by Kelly Daly.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Scanned as TIF files 2024.
Available online as part of the Glass plate negative collection on the Waterloo Digital Library.

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Public Domain

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

Newbridge, Ontario is a ghost town in southern Ontario that was inhabited from the mid-1800s until the early 1900s. The town was established in 1854 as Spencetown on a 500-acre plot of land purchased by William Spence, John Higgins and James Kerr. It was located near the Maitland River watershed, six miles west of what is today Listowel, in the Howick Township area of Huron County.

Charles Ferrand, of Quebec, launched the first grist and flour mills, and James Carson opened the first store, which housed the post office founded by William McLaughlin. The establishment of the post office prompted the name change to Newbridge as a Spencetown post office already existed. Newburg grew to include a church, school, general store, blacksmith and an Orange Lodge, reaching a population of 200 by 1882.

The development of the Toronto Grey and Bruce Railway passing north through Fordwich hurt the town, leading people to relocate to more active rail towns and in 1922 many of the buildings that remained were destroyed by fire.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by JB 2023.
Revised by DR April 2024.

Language of description

Script of description


  • Newbridge -
  • Brown, Ron. "Newbridge." Ontario’s Ghost Town Heritage, Stagecoach, Langley, BC, 1978, pp. 114–115.
  • Brown, Ron. "Newbridge." Ontario’s Ghost Town Heritage, Boston Mills Press, Erin, ON, 2007, p. 83.

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres