Title and statement of responsibility area
Anthes Manufacturing Company : employees at front of factory.
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
September 5, 1892 (Photography)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Rieder family lived at 58 Roy Street in Berlin, but moved to Montreal in 1912 because of Talmon's business interests there; they lived in Berlin again from 1915 to 1917 and then Martha and the children moved back to the Roy Street home in Kitchener permanently after Talmon died in 1922.
Talmon Henry Rider (1878-1922) was an industrialist and rubber company executive in Berlin and Montreal. He was born in New Hamburg, the eldest child of Peter Rieder (1850-1936) and Emeline Merner (1857-1940). Peter Rieder was born to Daniel Rieder (1827-1868) and Christina Laughoff ; Emeline Merner was one of nine children of Christian Merner (1832-1912) and Elizabeth Young (or Jung) (1837-1926). After Talmon, Peter and Emeline Rieder had eight other children: Maude, Idella (Della), Elmer, Loretta, Esther, Eva, Talma (May), and Alma.
Talmon Henry Rieder attended the Berlin High School. He married Martha Melvina Anthes (1878-1971), daughter of John Schmitt Anthes (1844-1915) and Lydia Catherine Herlan (1849-1935), and they had four children (Paul, Edward Anthes, Margaret Catherine, and Helen Elizabeth). In 1899 he became the bookkeeper and a minor shareholder in the newly formed Berlin Rubber Company (Margaret Avenue) and was soon appointed as a director. In 1903, he and Jacob Kaufman organized the Merchants Rubber Company (Breithaupt Street) and Rieder managed this factory until it was merged with several other companies in Quebec and Ontario to form the Canadian Consolidated Rubber Company in 1907. Rieder was vice-president and managing director of this company, and in 1908 he became president. He also directed the operations of the Canadian Consolidated Felt Company. By 1910, the United States Rubber Company (later Uniroyal) had obtained full control of the Canadian Consolidated Rubber Company. Talmon convinced the company to build its new tire plant in Berlin; construction on the Dominion Tire factory began in 1912 and production began in early 1914. In 1919, Talmon resigned from his positions in the Consolidated Rubber and Felt companies to assume the position of president and managing director of the Ames Holden McCready Company of Montreal and began building up a large leather and rubber footwear system that included the construction of a second tire plant in Kitchener (later the B.F. Goodrich Company).
In addition to his work in the rubber industry, Talmon Henry Rieder had an interest in urban planning. In 1912 he purchased several farms in the German Company Tract Lot 22, on the west side of Berlin, and had the lands surveyed and divided into lots. With three other partners he formed the Westmount Improvement Company to carry out his vision to develop this area on the border of Berlin and Waterloo into a contemporary garden suburb, inspired in part by the Westmount area in Montreal where he and his family lived. Talmon died unexpectedly after a 10-day illness in April, 1922.
John S. Anthes (1844-1915) was a businessman and politician in Berlin. He became owner of the Hoffman furniture manufacturing business, which in 1877 was merged with the Simpson Furniture Co. to become the Simpson-Anthes Co. In 1881, he withdrew from that partnership to establish the Anthes Furniture Co. In 1901, he was involved in the amalgamation of furniture companies through Canada Manufactures, Limited, and after he resigned as a director of this company in 1906, he formed the Anthes Manufacturing Company in Berlin with John C. Breithaupt as president. In 1916, C.J. and J.H. Baetz took over management of the company, and in 1920, they formed the Anthes-Baetz Furniture Company. John S. Anthes was also involved in municipal affairs, and was first elected as a councillor in 1886. He served as Deputy Reeve in 1887, 1891, and 1897, and again as councillor in 1907. He was also one of the first water commissioners and one of the founders of the Berlin & Waterloo Hospital, in addition to holding various offices in the Zion Evangelical Church.
John S. Anthes was the son of Martin Anthes (1812-1891) and Catharina Schmitt (1814-1894) of Wilmot Township. His brother was Rev. Jacob Anthes. In 1867, John S. married Lydia Catherine Herlan (1849-1936), daughter of Rev. F. and Caroline Herlan. John. S. and Lydia Anthes lived at 44 Weber Street in Berlin, and their family was involved in the nearby Zion Evangelical Church. They had five children. Caroline (Carrie) Catharine Anthes (1868-[19--]) married businessman and politician John C. Breithaupt (1859-1951) in 1892, and they lived in Berlin. John and Carrie had six children: John Edward, Louise Catherine, Carl Louis, Frieda Caroline, Walter Hailer, and Helena Esther. John Isaac Franklin Anthes (1870-1933) was an associate with his father in the furniture manufacturing business. He then became a director of the Canadian Consolidated Rubber Company and from 1915 to 1919 served as the General Purchasing Supervisor of the company. In 1919 he founded Anthes & Sons, Agents and Importers, in Montreal. J.I. Frank Anthes married Cyrena Hoffman Simmonds in 1897. They lived for a time in Wiarton, Ontario, and also lived in Berlin and Montreal. They had five children: Olive Cyrena, Edith Louisa, Leonard John, Henry Herbert, and Norman Franklin. Lydia Louisa Anthes (1877-1942) married businessman Albert Libourious Breithaupt (1870-1955) in 1901; they lived in Berlin. Albert and Louisa had six children: Friedrich Albert, Marie, Rudolph A., Ruth Anna, Arthur L., and David J.
Scope and content
Mounted photograph of employees casually standing at the front and side of the Anthes Manufacturing Company factory. Looking at the camera, most are wearing hats, some with hands at hips or in pockets.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Scanned as TIF file February 2021.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Black ink inscription on verso reads: "Sept. 5/92"
Blue pen inscription on verso reads: "Anthes Factory / King St. E. / Kitchener"