Series 1946 - 1946 negatives

Lutheran clothing drive Lutheran synod convention Lutherans to convention Motz, John Municipal chapter I. O. D. E. [Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire] New Dundee anniversary group New Hamburg derby New oil tank (Hogg) New water well North Dumfries plowing match Boy scouts chief scout visit Branch library opening North Waterloo Rehab. & Training Inst. Norwegian war bride Nylon day Pan Politae Club YMCA (Y Men's Charter) Polish veterans arrive Polsson Poppy day Legion Post Office rush Christmas Present ship's bell Preston fire Public speaking champs (W. O. S. S. A.) KW Symphony Orchestra Alexander, Governor General Lady and children Antique auto Kitchener-Waterloo Hospital George Brown Canadian Institute of Blind Robinson & Hewlett Carbert triplets Elmira Bandberg dedication Barn lowering on Elmira highway Baseball (Jr. UBA champs) Bears at Victoria Park Blevins retiring Blind get deed Blue baby (Puztka) Bray, Col. G. Murray Bridgeport vets banquet Cat & chickens Apostolic church Kitchener Brown, Mayor J. G. Carter Twins Granite curling match Granite curling match Gundick, J. and flower Haliman, Mrs. Myrtle Happy cousins Hauck, A. M Hearing survey Sheppard School Ice, snowstorm International plowing match IODE newest charter Iuvenes Hi/y club tea Karn family Fifth veterans banquet Gaff 5 generations Galt 94th annual German band Waterloo Governor General visit Grand River flood Christmas Koppeser Circus tents Conestogo vets Coulter, George Jr. Chamber of Commerce Kitchener school closing Kitchener school playground Kitchener sewage disposal plant Kitchener summer playground opening Kitchener swimming pool Kiwanis Paradise Lake camp Kolb, Gertrude KW camp hospital KW Collegiate addition KW Collegiate basketball KW Collegiate new student council president KW Collegiate night class opening KW hockey game KW Kiwanis 25th anniversary KW Orphanage Labor day parade Legless veteran Macdonald Lehman car Letter to a Record box Library floral display Library story hour Linwood fire Linwood Fire Dept. Lishman coaches jr. ball clinic Listowel Fall Fair Long lost brothers Meeker-Hammer Mennonite shipment Millbank antique Motorcycle hill climb New Hamburg fair

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

1946 negatives

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on February 9, 1878 and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in January of 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Company and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by William (Ben) V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, William D. Euler (later Senator for North Waterloo) and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. With that event, the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.

The Berliner Journal began in December 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen Street south, Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his son William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by William D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.

In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King Street west to a new building at 30 Queen Street north where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. In 1998, The Record was sold to Sun Media Corporation, and then in March 1999, to Torstar Corporation. In January 2005, the paper moved its offices to Market Square on King Street east in Kitchener's downtown core, and on March 11, 2008, the name was changed to the Waterloo Region Record.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres