Series 1945 - 1945 negatives

Abbott, Hon. Douglas Accident Kitchener Elmira highway Ayr bank robbery Barn raising (Hahan farm) Brandberg Bromley, A. W. Canadian Legion Churchill's chair rubber Courtland Ave. School slumber time Croth, Jean Dare chimney (Weber St.) Dier, J. R. Dominion glue fire Dominion Rubber ground break Election Firemen fix toys Forest Hill gardens Gingrich Barn removed Granite opening Gross, Lloyd Grundy, Po. David funeral Hallman, Elverene and turkeys Hatfield Lansing met opera Heer, Albert Hemmerich, Dr. G. R. Hickson return Elmira reception Hickson, Geo. Higland Light Infantry returning to Galt, Cambridge Hoffman, R. I. O. D. E. service library campaign Jailbreak Kesslering, Jerry Ont. Jr. Golf Champ. King St. Baptist church mortgage burning Kitchener army recruiting hut Kitchener hockey Kitchener library option Kitchener Lions rally Kitchener Midgets Kitchener park Kitchener playground Kitchener Public School Choir Kitchener remembrance day services Kitchener swimming pool cleanup Kitchener Victoria Park Pavilion Kitchener Victoria Park swans Kiwanis home draw KW Airettes KW clothing drive KW Collegiate bicycles KW Collegiate memorial services KW Collegiate president election Lowe vs. Walter KW Collegiate property option KW Collegiate student council KW Collegiate vs. St. Jerome's Kitchener-Waterloo Hospital aids KW Kiwanis turn soil for mobile home KW Rotary carnival Langleys old building Meinsinger, Joe Meinsinger, Joe and family Memorial auditorium Ninth victory loan Pigeons on car [?] Potato shortage Record drivers honoured Rothaermehl, Frances Scots Fusiliers at Waterloo Park Seibert, C. Twin City Golf Champs, Westmount V-E Day Victoria Park children feeding swans Victory loan. Waterloo building horse shed Waterloo building project Waterloo park

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

1945 negatives

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on February 9, 1878 and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in January of 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Company and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by William (Ben) V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, William D. Euler (later Senator for North Waterloo) and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. With that event, the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.

The Berliner Journal began in December 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen Street south, Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his son William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by William D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.

In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King Street west to a new building at 30 Queen Street north where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. In 1998, The Record was sold to Sun Media Corporation, and then in March 1999, to Torstar Corporation. In January 2005, the paper moved its offices to Market Square on King Street east in Kitchener's downtown core, and on March 11, 2008, the name was changed to the Waterloo Region Record.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres