Accession GA113 - R. J. Brown fonds.

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

R. J. Brown fonds.

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title from content of the fonds.

Level of description

Accession

Reference code

SCA140-GA113

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1935-1994 (Creation)
    Creator
    Brown, Robert J.

Physical description area

Physical description

3 cm of textual records and other materials

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Y.M.C.A. chorus of which R. J. Brown was a member, was founded in the mid-1930s by Don McLaren. It was formed with the support of the Y.M.C.A. quartette which had been established some years earlier. The chorus was disbanded during World War II when many of the chorus members served in the armed forces. Moreover, in 1941 Don McLaren moved overseas to become a representative of the Y. M.C.A. in England.

The first year of this chorus was 1935 and as it started to grow and become more proficient, rehearsals came to be held twice a week instead of once a week. Later on a female section was added to the chorus. This included five girls and a female pianist, Miss Dorothy Schweitzer, who replaced the previous pianist, Freddie Oliver, who had moved to Toronto. The Y.M.C.A. Chorus broadcast over C.F.R.B., Toronto in both 1938 and 1939 for J. M. Schneider Ltd. The broadcasts were carried out from the Y.M.C.A. gymnasium on the corner of Queen and Weber Street in Kitchener.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Nineteen file folders of material (originally stored in a binder) relating to the Y.M.C.A. Chorus over the period 1935-1940. Materials include group photographs with members identified, itineraries, list of songs, a list of members, ephemera, one audio cassette, and current correspondence from the Y.M.C.A. and Schneiders. Also includes contemporary materials on archival donations of the materials.

Notes area

Physical condition

Includes 9 photographs.

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by R.J. Brown in 1997.

Arrangement

Arrangement follows that of the original finding aid. Files are in 19 folders arranged as they were when donated.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres