Title and statement of responsibility area
Mr. Charles Bronfman visiting the Waterloo plant, September 1971.
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Continuation of title: ...Left to right: Mr. M.W. Griffin, Chief Operating Office, House of Seagram Ltd.; Mr. Charles Bronfman & Mr. A. Downe, Plant Manager.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Joseph E. Seagram and Sons, Ltd.
Physical description area
1 photograph : b&w ; 9 x 13 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1857 William Hespeler, a merchant, and George Randall, a contractor, built what was known as Granite Mills in Waterloo, Ontario. A susidiary to the mill was a small distillery known as the Waterloo Distillery. The business also included a dry goods store. In 1863 Hespeler and Randall took in William Roos, and in 1864 William Hespeler went abroad, hiring young Joseph Emm Seagram to look after his interests. By 1870 Seagram had bought out Hespeler's interests and the company name became "George Randall and Company."
In 1878 Seagram bought out Randall, and he, Seagram. and Roos operated as "Randall and Company" until 1881 when they changed the name to "Seagram and Roos." 1883 Seagram bought out Roos and became the sole proprietor, changing the company name to "Joseph Seagram Flour Mill and Distillery Company." Seagram incorporated the company in 1911, changing the name to "Joseph E. Seagram and Sons, Limited." By 1919 when Seagram died, he had built his Waterloo distillery into a major exporting company and his brand names were widely known. In 1928 the Bronfman family acquired the distillery and amalgamated it with their company, Distillers Corporation Limited. (From: 200 Years of Tradition: The Story of Canadian Whisky / Lorraine Brown. Markham, Ont.: Fitzhenry & Whiteside, c1994: 27-29, and History of Seagram's '83' / Joseph Edward Frowde Seagram [speech notes, 1960].)
Scope and content
File consists of 1 photograph of Mr. Charles Bronfman with Mr. M.W. Griffin and Mr. A. Downe, standing in front of the Waterloo plant. Verso reads: taken in 1971 for record purposes.