Title and statement of responsibility area
Kitchener-Waterloo Record February 7, 1986.
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
February 7, 1986 (Creation)
- Kitchener-Waterloo Record
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on Feb. 9, 1878, and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in Jan. 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Co. and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by W.V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, W.D. Euler and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. Thus the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.
The Berliner Journal began in Dec. 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen St. S in Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his some William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by W.D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.
In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King St. W. to a new building at Queen and Duke St., 30 Queen St. N., where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. (Source: Kitchener-Waterloo Record Centennial Souvenir, Feb. 8, 1978. For the later history of this paper, see this Wikipedia article.)
Name of creator
Harry Huehnergard was born in Kitchener, Ontario to Alister Ezra Huehnergard (1897-1946) and Gertrude Pollakowski (1896-1974). The middle of the three children, his siblings included older brother Carl and younger sister June. In 1933, at the age of 12, Harry began working for the Kitchener-Waterloo Record as a carrier, going to the main Record offices on Duke Street to pick up the newspapers. By 1937 Harry had graduated to working as a proof runner, pastepot filler and accounts collector at the rate of 10$ per week. The Record took a chance on Harry in 1939 when he was made the first staff photographer. He would take the images for the newspaper, have them developed by William Cochrane and then engraving plates made by MacPhail Engravers. The Second World War interrupted Harry's photography career when he enlisted in 1942, joining the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). Harry was stationed in Gander, Newfoundland and while there became the Associate Editor and then Editor of "The Gander" which was the magazine for RCAF troops. After the end of the war Harry returned to Kitchener and to working for the Record, with some key changes made to the photography department. He installed the first darkroom at the record in 1946 so that photographs could be developed onsite. He was also involved in the founding of the Commercial and Press Photographers Association of Canada (now Professional Photographs of Canada) serving on the executive committee. In 1948 Harry married Sylvia and the couple had two children, John and Mark. The next decades would bring changes to the field of photography including the installation of a wire photo machine in 1953, and a laserphoto receiver in 1977. Harry also helped to establish the Waterloo Regional Police Department's photography department. During the course of his career he wrote a popular photography column for 25 years, and by the time of his retirement he was the Manager of the Photographic Department. Towards the end of his career at the Record Harry began to search for a permanent home for the Record's negative collection and was the person behind the collection being donated to the University of Waterloo. Harry retired in 1986 after a 49 year career at the Record.
Scope and content
February 7, 1986 issue of the Kitchener-Waterloo Record. The front-page features an article about the life of Harry Huehnergard printed for his retirement. It also showcases three of his photographs he took for the Record during his career.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated in 2018.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
JB March 2019.