Title and statement of responsibility area
Harry Huehnergard collection.
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
July 24, 1972-February 7, 1986 (Creation)
- Huehnergard, Harry W.
Physical description area
1 photograph : b&w ; 28 x 36 cm
1 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Harry Huehnergard was born in Kitchener, Ontario to Alister Ezra Huehnergard (1897-1946) and Gertrude Pollakowski (1896-1974). The middle of the three children, his siblings included older brother Carl and younger sister June. In 1933, at the age of 12, Harry began working for the Kitchener-Waterloo Record as a carrier, going to the main Record offices on Duke Street to pick up the newspapers. By 1937 Harry had graduated to working as a proof runner, pastepot filler and accounts collector at the rate of 10$ per week. The Record took a chance on Harry in 1939 when he was made the first staff photographer. He would take the images for the newspaper, have them developed by William Cochrane and then engraving plates made by MacPhail Engravers. The Second World War interrupted Harry's photography career when he enlisted in 1942, joining the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). Harry was stationed in Gander, Newfoundland and while there became the Associate Editor and then Editor of "The Gander" which was the magazine for RCAF troops. After the end of the war Harry returned to Kitchener and to working for the Record, with some key changes made to the photography department. He installed the first darkroom at the record in 1946 so that photographs could be developed onsite. He was also involved in the founding of the Commercial and Press Photographers Association of Canada (now Professional Photographs of Canada) serving on the executive committee. In 1948 Harry married Sylvia and the couple had two children, John and Mark. The next decades would bring changes to the field of photography including the installation of a wire photo machine in 1953, and a laserphoto receiver in 1977. Harry also helped to establish the Waterloo Regional Police Department's photography department. During the course of his career he wrote a popular photography column for 25 years, and by the time of his retirement he was the Manager of the Photographic Department. Towards the end of his career at the Record Harry began to search for a permanent home for the Record's negative collection and was the person behind the collection being donated to the University of Waterloo. Harry retired in 1986 after a 49 year career at the Record.
Scope and content
Materials created and accumulated by Harry Huehnergard including an aerial photograph of the Uniroyal Chemical plant in Elmira and an edition of the Kitchener-Waterloo Record with a front-page article about Harry published on the occasion of his retirement.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated in 2018.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
JB March 2019.