Title and statement of responsibility area
William Kriesel fonds.
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title from content of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Kriesel, William
Physical description area
65 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
William Kriesel owned the first hardware store in New Dundee, Ontario. He bought the building for his stove and tinware store in 1871 from the estate of the original owner, John Millar, for $1,200. He operated the hardware store from 1871 to 1906, and then passed the business on to his son, Bert Kriesel, who operated it from 1906 to 1912. Several prominent New Dundee business owners' names appear in Kriesel's day books and ledgers, including furniture maker Andrew Poth, carriage maker J.M. Weber [ie. Webber], harness maker A.B. McRae, flour mill owner E.W.B. Snider [ie. Snyder], butcher Charles Hiller, woolen mill owner Charles Kaufman, and the Kolebrenner brother blacksmiths. Sources: Hilborn, Miriam. "The E.T. Coleman Hardware Store in New Dundee." Waterloo Historical Society 50 (1962): 79; New Hamburg-Wilmot Township Centennial Committee. More than a century in Wilmot Township. New Hamburg: The Committee, 1967; and The Union Publishing Co's (of Ingersoll) Farmers' and Business Directory for the Counties of Peel, Waterloo and Wellington, 1893, Vol. VII. Union Publishing Company of Ingersoll, 1893.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of eleven day books and two ledgers listing daily sales and corresponding customer accounts for William Kriesel's stoves and tinware store (hardware store) from 1889-1905.
Immediate source of acquisition
Purchased in 1986.