Title and statement of responsibility area
Grand River Conservation Authority fonds : accruals.
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Grand River Conservation Authority
Physical description area
99 cm of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Grand River Conservation Authority is a corporate body governing the cooperative management of the Grand River watershed and its natural resources by municipalities, landowners and other organizations within the watershed. Formed in 1966 following the merging of the Grand River Conservation Commission and the Grand Valley Conservation Authority, the GRCA's origins date back to the 1930s.
In the early 1800s, the Grand River was a source of transportation, power and water for local communities. Settlement led to deforestation, intensive farming and urbanization, which began to hinder the natural cycles of the river. By the 1930s river conditions had become so severe that annual floods, drought and pollution were affecting public health and the economic development of the communities up and down the Grand.
Sponsored by the Grand Valley Boards of Trade and modeled on the fledging Tennessee Valley Authority in the United States, the "Grand River Conservation Commission Act" was passed by the Province of Ontario in 1932. The Grand River Conservation Commission (GRCC) was the first watershed management agency in Canada when it received its formal Letters Patent in August, 1934. The formation of the GRCC marked the first time local municipalities had banded together to address water management issues on a watershed scale. The founding partner municipalities were Brantford, Galt, Kitchener, Fergus and Caledonia. William Philip of Galt was the first chairman, and the commission's head office was in Brantford. Other municipalities soon joined the partnership.
In 1942 the commission completed the Shand Dam near Fergus, the first dam in Canada built for flood control, water supply and water quality purposes. This was followed by the Luther Marsh Dam in 1954 and the Conestogo Dam in 1958. Funding was shared between the federal and provincial governments, (each paid 37.5 per cent) and the local municipalities paid 25 per cent. The GRCC also planted more than two million trees and undertook some of the province's first large scale reforestation projects. The success of the commission, its watershed scope and municipal partnership model led to the Guelph Conference on Conservation in 1941, and the Conservation Authorities Act of Ontario in 1946. This new act led to the creation of 36 conservation authorities across the province.
In 1948, the Grand River watershed municipalities formed their own Grand Valley Conservation Authority (GVCA) under this new act. This new agency had extended powers in the 1950s, which allowed it to acquire many wetlands, forests and natural areas in the watershed. The GVCA also acquired park land for camping, swimming, fishing and canoeing including what would become the Elora Gorge, Rockwood, Pinehurst Lake and Byng Island.
Over time the GVCA's objectives began to parallel those of the GRCC and the two agencies merged in 1966 to form the Grand River Conservation Authority (GRCA), which operates under the Conservation Authorities Act of Ontario. As a corporate body, through which municipalities work cooperatively to manage the water and natural resources in the watershed for everyone's benefit.
Scope and content
Accrual consists of materials relating to the Grand Valley Conservation Authority and its predecessors. Includes materials relating to the activities, events, employees and land ownership of the GRCA. Includes committee and meeting minutes, photographs, reports, maps, etc.
Also includes 9 film reels, 2 DVD, 556 negatives, 14 photographs, 2 maps.
The extent is measured in linear metres of shelf space occupied by the accrual.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated in 2008, 2010 and 2011 by the Grand River Conservation Authority.
The series structure follows that of the original Finding Aid, so not all series numbers appear.
Arranged in 12 series as follows:
2. Organization and Administration ;
3. Board Minutes : Grand River Valley Boards of Trade ;
7. Board Minutes : Grand River Conservation Authority ;
13. Administration Departments : Communications : Publicity ;
16. Administration : Legal ;
20. Administration : Secretary Treasurer : Correspondence ;
22. Operations : Division : Forestry and Wildlife Branch ;
48. Visual : Moving Images : Films ;
54. Visual : Moving Images : DVDs : Transfers Film ;
58. Visual : Negatives ;
60. Visual : Photographs : Historic ;
81. Maps and Plans.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Description by Jessica Blackwell, winter 2013.