Showing 3891 resultsAuthority record
Stanley Karl Johannesen, born March 10, 1939, is an author, writer, and Professor Emeritus of History at the University of Waterloo. Johannesen was born in Brooklyn, New York and attended Manual Training High School (MTHS) before going on to receive his BA at Evangel College, Missouri, and then his MA and PhD in History (1973) at the University of Missouri. Johannesen began teaching American history while completing his PhD at the University of Missouri and joined the University of Waterloo in 1969 where he remained until his retirement in 2004.
While at the University of Waterloo Johannesen was the first editor-in-chief of Historical Reflections/Réflexions Historiques, an English and French peer-reviewed academic history journal published at the university from its establishment in 1974 until 1989. During his professional academic career Johannesen produced several papers and reports on teaching, religion, and cultural criticism and delivered presentations at conferences worldwide, from Korea to Norway to Cuba. Johannesen was also active in the American Studies Association (ASA)
Outside of teaching, Johannesen has published a number of essays, short-stories, memoirs, reviews, and articles in various journals and print publications, such as Queen’s Quarterly and the K-W Record, that reflect personal interests including religion, social issues, travel, and cabinet-making. Johannesen is also known for his books: “Sister Patsy,” “Luggas Wood,” and “The Yellow Room,” and is the co-founder and editor of Blaurock Press and, together with his wife Penny Winspur, co-founder of The Electric Ferry Press. Johannesen is also an avid blogger and maintains his own website at http://www.skjohannesen.com.
Joseph Irons, son of William Irons of Ware, was born at Ware, November 1785. Irons joined the Noncomformists, and was for some time Pastor of a Nonconformist Chapel at Sawston, and then of the Grove Chapel, Camberwell, London. He died April 3rd. 1852.
Canadian Girls in Training is a religious international girls' organization that was founded in 1915, originally supported by the YWCA. It provided mid-week meetings of Sunday school classes and clubs for teenage girls. The organization today has over 150 groups.
In 1854 the beginnings of what would become Dominion Rubber, and the accompanying Rubber Machinery Shops were laid. It was in this year that William Brown, Ashley Hibbard and George Bourn met in Montreal to start Brown, Hubbard, Bourn & Co., the first manufacturer of Caoutchouc (Indian rubber) footwear in Canada. The company grew and in 1866 became the Canadian Rubber Company, manufacturing not just rubber footwear but also springs, machinery belts, and rubberized cloth.
By 1906 the Canadian Consolidated Rubber Company, as it was now known, had purchased many of the competing rubber companies in Canada and in February of 1907 purchased the Berlin and the Merchants rubber companies of Kitchener. A merger with United States Rubber in 1910 created the Dominion Rubber Company and more opportunities for growth and expansion.
By 1912 the Dominion Rubber Company saw a potential for a lucrative line of business as motorized vehicles began to take hold in Canada. With this in mind, the company set out to establish the Dominion Tire factory and began searching for locations. In a contest that included larger and more developed cities such as Hamilton, London, and Windsor, it was Kitchener (then still Berlin and only just declared a city) that won the bid, thanks in no small part to Talmon Rieder.
Talmon Rieder, a well-known Kitchener business man was working for the Dominion Rubber Company at the time in their head office in Montreal. His wife and family were in Kitchener, and it was he that convinced the company to build the new tire factory in the city. The land was purchased, and on Aug 9, 1912 ground broke on the new one million dollar factory on Strange Street.
The Dominion Tire factory opened Christmas of 1913 and began regular production in 1914. The first tire was built on Jan. 6 by Oscar Totzke of Kitchener, who had been sent to Detroit and Indianapolis to learn the craft. At the time it took Mr. Totzke an hour to assemble the tire and the factory’s goal was one tire, per man, per day. This pace was soon too slow for demand and by 1919 the factory employed 1,800 workers and produced 420,00 tires per year.
In 1917 an integral part of the Dominion Tire factory was opened, the Rubber Machinery Shops. Built next to Dominion Tire on Strange Street for the express purpose of creating machines for use in the factory, the Rubber Machinery Shops (RMS) designed and manufactured machines for use in the rubber industry (and eventually many others) at this location until 2009.
In 1966 RMS was bought by Uniroyal (the former United States Rubber Company that went into partnership with Canadian Consolidated Rubber) and its role changed. RMS became a self-sustained division of Uniroyal, operating and maintaining its own facilities for sales and manufacturing. Although Uniroyal would be RMS’ largest client during the period, economic conditions saw the company branch into other industries and begin manufacturing machines for such diverse purposes as producing medicated Band-Aids and cutting wooden bungs for whiskey barrels, and products such as portions of the peritelescopes on the CN Tower. RMS changed again in 1989 when Michelin purchased Uniroyal, and the focus again became producing machinery for the parent company.
In 1993 RMS became an independent corporation when it was purchased by the managerial staff. The company would continue to produce machines for various industries and sell to other corporations worldwide. No longer associated with a tire manufacturing parent company, the contracts accepted, and the variety of machines produced by RMS would increase substantially.
1999 saw the final purchase of RMS, by Pettibone Tire Equipment Group, owned by Heico Companies. During this period there was a great deal of employee unrest in the company that culminated in a 34 month long strike through 2001-2004. When the strike finally ended, none of the employees that were out returned to the company. Shortly afterward, in 2009, RMS headquarters moved to Akron, Ohio and production began there. Although RMS still has offices in Kitchener, it is no longer located in the space it occupied for almost one hundred years.
Nettie E. Hall (nee Jestin) was born August 15, 1891 to Obadiah Jestin (1864-1943) and Margaret Maud Jestin (1866-1950) in Eramosa Township. On June 29, 1910 she married Arthur Thomas Hall, son of Thomas Hall and Jane Doughty, also of Eramosa Township. The couple had children Dorothy (b. 1911), Minnie (b. 1913), Harvey (b. 1916), Margaret (b. 1917) and William (b. 1920). Nettie died in 1986.
The private press movement was begun by William Morris with the Klemscott Press in 1891. The development of the press came out of Morris' interests in Medieval literature and craftsman workshops. The Klemscott press printed 53 books in 18,000 copies over seven years, the most important of which being The Klemscott Chaucer. The Klemscott Press lead to a renewed interest in book design and high quality book production, as well as typography. The movement tappered off in the 1930's with the Great Depression. A resurgence began in the 1950's, especially with artists and "artists books" and other experimental printing.
The history of the presses found in this collection are described at the series level.
The Westmount Golf and Country Club was established on June 17, 1929 when the first meeting of the Board of Directors took place. By the fall of 1929 land on the outskirts of Kitchener, Ont. had been purchased and Stanley Thompson had been retained to design and supervise construction of the course. The club officially opened in 1931. Since that time a number of major golf tournaments have been held at the Club including the Canadian Open Golf Championship in 1957, the Canadian Ladies Open and Closed Championship in 1965, Canadian Amateur Golf Championship in 1969, Labatt's International Golf Classis for the C.P.G.A. in 1981, and the L.P.G.A. du Maurier Classic in 1990. Westmount has produced golf Chamions at the provincial, national and international level, including Gary Cowan, Mary Gay, Dan Maue, Colin Moskal, and Judy Ellis.
In 1963 a curling facility was added and the club began to operate year-round. Tennis was added in 1977.
R. Boehmer & Co. was a fuel business in Berlin (now Kitchener, Ontario) founded by Reinhardt Boehmer, who originally began selling limestone to the building trades in 1875 and later sold coal, wood, and other fuels and equipment. The Boehmer family remained in ownership of the company until 1965. In 1973 the business was sold to the St. Lawrence Cement Co. (Source: Clarke, Mavis M. "Kitchener's century firms honored," Waterloo Historical Society 75 (1988): 35-46.)
The Kitchener branch of the Motz family came to Canada on June 2nd, 1848 when John Motz (1830-1911) followed his elder sister Regina Motz (1819-1909) and her husband Frederick Noll (1810-1871) from Germany to Waterloo County. John Motz was born to Johannes Motz and Margaretha Schroeter in 1830 in Diedorf, Germany. As his elder brother Lorenz was set to inherit the family land, John opted to take the 64 day ocean voyage from Hamburg to Quebec City to find a new life for himself in Canada. Once he made his way to Kitchener he stayed with his sister and brother-in-law and worked briefly as a farmer and woodcutter before finding work as an apprentice tailor with Christoph Nahrgang. John Motz apprenticed with Nahrgang for three years and in 1857 moved to Rockwood, Ill. It was here that he met Joachim Kalbfleisch and the two moved back to Canada to settle in Kitchener. Kalbfleisch would later go on to run the Canadische Bauernfreund Newspaper of Waterloo.
On his return to Kitchener, John Motz enrolled in grammar school with the objective to learn English and become a teacher. However, his plans were sidetracked by his friend Frederick Rittinger who had come to Canada from Germany in the same year. Rittinger had been apprenticing as a printer with the Deutsche Canadier and in 1859 the two attempted to buy out the paper. When this proved to be unsuccessful, they decided to set up their own printing company and establish a new paper, the Berliner Journal. The first issue was published on December 29, 1859 and the two continued in partnership for almost 40 years until October 12, 1897 when a sudden illness took Frederick Rittinger. In 1880 John Motz was made mayor of Berlin and in 1900 he was appointed honorary Sheriff of Waterloo County after his 1899 retirement from the newspaper.
By this time John Motz had met and married Helena Vogt (1832-1924) on February 17, 1868. Helena had emigrated from Germany with her family in 1852. Helena’s older sister Barbara (1823-1890) married Rienhold Lang (1817-1883) in Germany and the two of them also immigrated to Canada in 1846 where they would found the Lang Tannery. John and Helena had four children: Mary (1868-1933), William John (1870-1946), Louisa (1874-1944) and Carl Joseph (1878). Mary became Sister Maria Anna, a nun of the order of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, Louisa married John A. Zinger (1871-1903) and lived on a portion of the Motz family lands in Kitchener with their daughter Leone, and William John followed in his father’s footsteps.
William John Motz took over his father’s place in Rittinger & Motz in 1899 when John retired. He and Frederick Rittinger’s son John Adam continued to run the company and the newspaper. By the time that William John took over from his father, the Berliner Journal had begun to amalgamate with other newspapers in the area. In 1897 they purchased the Daily News and Berlin Daily Record, in 1899 the Berlin News Record and Berlin Daily Express, in 1904 Die Ontario Glocke, in 1906 Der Kanadische Kolonist, in 1908 Canadische Volksblatt, and in 1090 Der Canadische Bauernfreund. In 1917 the Berliner Journal is renamed the Ontario Journal and absorbs the Daily News and Berlin Daily Record becoming the exclusively English language Berlin News Record, and in 1918 the Kitchener Daily Record.
While the name of the paper was undergoing its own changes, so was the ownership. In 1915 John Adam Rittinger died and his share in the company was purchased by Senator William Daum Euler. Euler and William John did not see eye to eye and correspondence in the collection shows that their business relationship was tense. Euler’s share in the company ended up becoming a minority share and was eventually purchased in 1953. In his personal life, William John had married Rose Huck (1875-1950) in 1901. Together they had two children, John George (1906-1908) and John Edward (1909-1975). William John was very involved in the publishing community and served as the President of the Canadian Daily Newspapers Association.
In 1946 William John died and his share of the company passed to his son John Edward who took over his father’s position as publisher. In 1948 the paper was renamed the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, a name that it would be known by until 1994. John E. Motz married Mary Helen Stoody (1912-1967) in 1932 and together they had eight children: William John (1933-?), John Edward (1934), Rosemary Eileen (1935-1962), Margaret Ann (1937-?), Mary (1941), John George (1943-?), Ann Elizabeth (1947-?) and Paul John (1950-?). In 1975 John Edward stepped down from his position at the Record, but three of his sons were still working there. In 1990 the Kitchener-Waterloo Record finally left the hands of the Motz family when it was sold to Southam.
Jane Stuart Larrington was a teacher, writer and editor, and was an early member of the Toronto Branch of the Canadian Women's Press Club. She was born in 1890 in Middlesex County, Ont. and her first work was published in the Globe when she was 13, after which she continued to write and publish sketches and articles. After two and a half years of teaching she moved to Toronto and became, first, assistant editor of Methodist Sunday School Publications and later, editorial assistant with Presbyterian Publications. She joined the Toronto Women's Press Club in 1914 and was a member until her death at the age of 97 in 1987. (Sources: GA 94 File 47: Canadian Women's Press Club, Biographical Scrapbook, 1921.)
The Muskoka Lakes Association was organized in 1894 by a group of summer cottagers, and since then has worked on behalf of permanent or part-time residents of Lakes Muskoka, Rosseau and Joseph. "The Association was established to unite all those interested in the lakes and their vicinities in order to protect and promote the interests of property owners, cottagers and tourists, preserve the safe, healthful and sanitary condition and scenic beauty of the lakes; and to encourage skill and prudence in aquatic sports ... Association members were instrumental in forming the Muskoka Lakes Golf and Country Club, which is the scene of the annual regattas and other Association-sponsored activities. The Association has had a major influence on the history of the lakes since the beginning of the century."
Issues of interest to the Association since its beginnings have always included both political and environmental concerns: roads and other transportation facilities serving the area, sanitation standards, well-marked waters, fishing, fire and police services, taxation, water and air quality, acid rain, boating safety, and any other factors contributing to the health, security and pleasure of those living in and around the lakes.
Ivan W. Keffer (1890-1965) was an executive of the F.W. Woolworth Co. who was born in Berlin (now Kitchener), Ontario. He married Mary Louise Elligsen (1892-1982) of Sebringville in 1917. Keffer began working for the F.W. Woolworth Co. in 1912. In 1927, the company opened the subsidiary F.W. Woolworth GmbH in Germany. Keffer accepted a position to organize and develop this company and he moved with his wife and daughter Mary Jane (1926-2006) to Berlin, Germany, in 1927. He became managing director of the German company in 1933. The Keffers lived in Berlin until 1939 when they moved to Toronto because of the political and economic tensions in Germany. Keffer continued to serve Woolworth’s as Canadian General Manager. In 1945, he was appointed executive vice president and treasurer of the company and the family moved to New York. Upon his retirement in 1953, the Keffers moved back to Toronto and lived in an apartment there as well as the house they built in Port Elgin.
Emma Allen Bowlby was born to David Sovereign Bowlby and Martha Esther Murphy Bowlby in Waterloo in 1862. When she was 21, in 1884, she married the 39 year old Gardiner Boyd. Gardiner Boyd was born in 1845 to Mossom Boyd and Caroline Dunsford of Bobcaygeon Ontario. The couple had three children, Gardiner Mossom (born 1885), Mary Olive (born 1886) and Frieda Kathleen (born 1888).
Emma died in 1897 and her husband in 1898 leaving her children to be raised by their maternal grandparents, and later by their father’s half brother.
Peter Rieder (1850-1936) was born in Perth Township July 27, 1850 to Daniel Rieder of Switzerland and Christina Goettinger Rieder of Germany. Peter was one of eleven children which included both full siblings and half siblings born to his mother and her second husband Conrad Kabel, who she married after Daniel Rieder's death.
By 1877 Rieder was living in New Hamburg and was married to Emeline Merner Rieder (April 27 1857-January 17 1940), daughter of Christian Merner and Elizabeth Young Merner. Peter was also partners in Rieder and Ruby, General Merchants of New Hamburg, possibly with Emmanual Ruby (1844-1883).
Peter and Emiline had nine children, Talmon Henry (1878), Maude Matilda (1880), Idella Rose (1882), Elmer Alfred (1884), Lauretta Elizabeth (1886), Esther Emiline (1891), Eva Sarah (1892), Mary (1896), Alma (1900).
Peter Rieder retired in 1912 and died May 31, 1936 at the age of 85. Emiline died January 17, 1940 at the age of 82.
K-W Oktoberfest was started in 1969 by a small group of interested citizens and the four German clubs, under the auspices of the Visitors and Convention Bureau of the combined Kitchener-Waterloo Chambers of Commerce, with the object of promoting tourism in the area. It was incorporated with a provincial charter as K-W Oktoberfest Incorporated in 1971 on a no-share capital basis. Except for a small professional staff, Oktoberfest is run by volunteers. A Board of Directors, Advisory Council, and committees oversee all aspects of the festival, which is held annually in October. K-W Oktoberfest's function is to plan, co-ordinate and promote the festival. The Corporation's financial support is derived from the sale of souvenirs, accreditation fees, sponsorships and donations.
Originally a beer festival patterned after the famous Munich Oktoberfest, the festival shifted emphasis in the early 1970's to promoting Oktoberfest as a cultural heritage event. Originally five days long, the festival now spans nine days; it is the world's second-largest Bavarian festival and features Canada's only Thanksgiving Day Parade and the Miss Oktoberfest Beauty Pageant, among many other events.
Rear-Admiral Charles Holmes (1711-1761) was the sea commander who led a landing party of marines into Quebec at the time of its capture by Wolfe in 1759. He was third in command under Wolfe.
Marie Charlotte Carmichael Stopes was born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1880 and died there in 1958. Educated in Edinburgh, London and graduated with her Ph.D. from Munich, she was the first woman appointed to the science staff at the University of Manchester in 1904. Jointly with her husband H.V. Roe she founded the Mother's Clinic for Constructive Birth Control in 1921. It was the first birth control clinic in the world. She also published two books, "Married Love" and "Wise Parenthood: a Book for Married People."
The diaries of Rev. J. H. Shoults provide details of his life history over the period 1870-1884. Rev. Shoults worked as a minister with the Christian Church during this period. The majority of diary entries relate to his work with this church though reference is also made to his work as a teacher, family affairs, farming and gardening activities, shopping and errands, prices of food and farm goods, his personal finances, social visits (Rev. Shoults had many friends and acquaintances), and to weather conditions.
Rev. Shoults was born on Mar. 27, 1843. At the time of writing the diaries he has already married and many references are made to "Mrs. Shoults" or "Mrs. S." Diary entries also include references to his three children - Ella, Herschel, and Bertha. Rev. Shoults appears to have begun his career working as a school teacher and in 1870 (the first year for which the diaries are available) he was teaching and living on a farm in Whitevale, Ont. During this year he was also involved in the activities of both the Baptist and Christian churches, and he began to play a small part in preaching for the Christian Church working with Elder Jesse Tatton. In 1871 Rev. Shoults became involved in working as a Minister of the Christian Church on a full-time basis preaching in Bloomington, Ringwood, Markham, and Brougham. Rev. Shoults writes increasingly of his preaching, church meetings, funerals, and baptisms, and other activities of the Christian Church.
In Apr. 1872 Rev. Shoults moved from Whitevale to Altona, Ont. and in 1873 he moved from Altona to Little Britain, Ont. In 1879 he took up a new position as an Evangelist under the direction of the Mission Board and lived in a rented house in Newmarket, Ont. During 1880 Rev. Shoults moved from Newmarket to Kettleby and later in this same year he moved to live in J. Steven's house called "Mt. Pleasant" on the third line of King Township.
In 1883 Rev. Shoults' circumstances suddenly changed when he decided to rent a store and dwelling at 345 Yonge St., Toronto. However, his plan to open a store selling stationery and books was never realized, as he returned to the country and resumed working as a Minister with the Christian Church, first living at Bro. George's residence in Markham, and then in Oct. 1883 moving to Orono. In Feb. 1884 Rev. Shoults' daughter Bertha died of an illness. The final year covered by the diaries is 1884.
(Source : Materials in GA 110 Rev. J. H. Shoults Fonds.)
George Bray (1795-1846) was born December 11, 1795 in England. He married Ann Preston (b. 1796) and the pair had 10 children: Jemima (b.1816), Abraham (1818-1901), Isaac (1819-1837), Sarah (b. 1821), Rebecca (b. 1824), Rachel (b. 1827), Ruth (1832-1837), Hannah (b. 1834), Mary (b. 1839) and Jacob (1840-1920).
Eldest son Abraham immigrated to Canada in the early 1840's where he settled in Zorra Township and began to farm. By 1845 he married Sarah, also a British immigrant, and the couple had nine children: George (b. 1845), Elizabeth (b. 1847), Robert (b. 1849), James (b. 1853), Mary Jane (b. 1855), John (b. 1858), William (b. 1860), Marie (b. 1862), Joseph (b. 1867).
Abraham's youngest sibling, Jacob, settled in the Listowel area and there married Jane Brown (b.?). Jacob and Jane had son George (1873-1937) who later married Florence Murray (1874-1959).
(George) Murray Bray (1905-1974), lawyer, was born January 12 1905 to Florence Murray Bray (1874-1959) and George Bray (1873-1937) both of Canada. Born in Perth, Murray and his parents later moved to 70 Margaret Ave. in Kitchener. Murray studied law in Toronto and in 1929 he was called to the bar. He began working at his father's law office of Sims, Bray, McIntosh and Schofield in Kitchener. In 1928 Murray married Isabel Treacy (1906-1986) daughter of William (1878-1953) and Francis Crawford Treacy (1875-1929). Murray and Isabel had two children, William George, called Bill (b. 1929) and Judith (b. 1933). The family of Murray Bray lived in the Westmount region, at 145 Union Blvd. and later at 54 Rusholme Ave. Murray died in 1974 and Isabel in 1986.
Marion Conroy was the Alberta Chairman of the Women's Regional Advisory Committee to the Wartime Prices and Trade Board, Consumer Branch, during the Second World War and was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire in recognition of her wartime work. Set up by the Canadian Government in 1939, the Board's purpose was to prevent the same sort of inflation and social unrest experienced in Canada during WWI. In 1941 PM Mackenzie King announced a price and wage freeze, and appointed Donald Gordon, a prominent banker, to manage the program. A combination of astute administration, public relations and public education resulted in overall effectiveness in the Board's objectives. (Information from J. English, "Wartime Prices and Trade Board," in The Canadian Encyclopedia, 2nd ed., c1988: 2278)
This fonds contains records relating to Edwin B. Dunke of Kitchener, Ont., the Benton St. Baptist Church, the German Baptist Church of Berlin and the Dunke & Co. grocery store. Other than what is evident from the documents, there is no biographical information available.
E.B. Dunke served as treasurer, ca. 1920, of the German Baptist Church of Berlin, also called the Benton St. Baptist Church, located there since 1852. "In 1890 English-speaking Baptists were invited to conduct their services on alternate Sunday evenings and in March, 1918 the German services were discontinued. Two years later the church separated from the Eastern Conference of German Baptist churches to unite with the Ontario and Quebec conference and in the early 1930's declared itself an independent Baptist church. In 1953 it became part of the Fellowship of Evangelical churches in Canada." (Waterloo Historical Society 52 (1964): 82-83)
Lucy Stone (1818-1893), suffragette, was born August 13, 1818 on Cory's Hill Massachusetts. At the age of sixteen she began teaching at the district school and then enrolled at Quaboag Seminary and Wesleyan Academy. In 1839 she entered Mount Holyoke Female Seminary and in 1843 she enrolled at Oberlin College in Ohio. When she graduated in 1847 she was the first woman from Massachusetts to obtain a college degree. Stone was appointed a lecturer for the Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society in 1848 which allowed her to meet reformers within the Garrison wing of the abolition movement. In 1849 she conducted the first petition campaign in Massachusetts for the rights of women. The first National Women's Rights Convention was held in 1850 and Stone was one of the organizers, later being appointed to the central committee of the convention. In 1851 Stone became an independent women's rights lecturer speaking at various venues throughout the United States for the next seven years.
During the course of her lecturing Stone met and married Henry Brown Blackwell, although she continued to be known by her maiden name. Stone and Blackwell's daughter Alice was born September 14, 1857 and Stone spent less time on her political activities and more time raising her daughter. Alice would later become a leader of the suffrage movement.
By 1866 Stone was involved again in politics and helped to organize, and served on the executive committee of, the American Equal Rights Association which was to press for both African American and women's rights. In 1870 Stone and Blackwell moved to Dorchester Massachusetts to organize the New England Woman Suffrage Association, and Stone founded "The Woman's Journal", a voice of the suffrage movement.
Stone gave her last public speeches in May, 1893 at the World's Congress of Representative Women. She died October 18, 1893.
Ethel Carol Longfellow (b. 1881) and Anne Sewall Longfellow (b. 1883) were born in Byfield, Massachusetts to Horace and Hannah Longfellow on the family farm. The two sisters attended Smith College, both graduating in the class in 1906. After college both Anne and Ethel moved to Boston and worked in the stenographic and secretarial fields.
James Downey was born in Winterton, Newfoundland in 1939. A graduate of Memorial University of Newfoundland, he attended the University of London as a Rothermere Fellow and earned a PhD in English literature. At Carleton University, where he began his career, he held a series of academic and administrative posts including Vice-President Academic and President pro tempore .
From 1980-90 he was President of the University of New Brunswick. During that period he also served terms as President of the Canadian Bureau for International Education, Chair of the Association of Atlantic Universities, and Chair of the Corporate-Higher Education Forum.
From 1990-93 he was Special Advisor to the Premier of New Brunswick; Special Advisor to the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada; and co-chair of the New Brunswick Commission on Excellence in Education, which published two reports that guided educational reform in that province.
James Downey was President of the University of Waterloo from 1993 to 1999. During his presidency of the University of Waterloo, he also served terms as Chair of the Council of Ontario Universities and Chair of the Association of Commonwealth Universities. His publications include The Eighteenth Century Pulpit (Oxford University Press, 1969), Fearful Joy (McGill-Queen1s University Press, 1973), Schools For A New Century and To Live and Learn (reports of the New Brunswick Commission on Excellence in Education, 1992, 1993), and Innovation: Essays by Leading Canadian Researchers, edited with Lois Claxton (Key Porter Books, 2002).
After stepping down as president, he founded and directed at Waterloo Canada’s first centre for the study of co-operative education; led an annual seminar for new university presidents sponsored by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada; and from 2007 to 2010 was founding president of the Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario.
Among his awards are nine honorary degrees; the Symons Medal for outstanding service to higher education in the Commonwealth; and the David C. Smith Award for contributions to universities and public policy in Canada.
He is an Officer of the Order of Canada. (Source: text from http://uwaterloo.ca/president/about-office-president/former-presidents)
Maria Louisa Clough (1834-1906) nee Dole was born in Alna, Maine to Rebecca and Albert Dole. On November 20, 1856 Maria married Lucien Bonaparte Clough, a lawyer and later judge, and the couple had two children, Rebecca (b. 1864) and Albert (b. 1870). The Clough family resided in Manchester, New Hampshire where Maria died in 1906.
Luella Bruce Creighton (1901-1996) was a Canadian author whose works, both fiction and non fiction, were published in the 1950's and 1960's. Born Luella Sanders Bruce on Aug. 25, 1901 in Stouffville, Ont., she taught in a rural school in 1920-1921 prior to attending Victoria College at the University of Toronto. She graduated with a BA in 1926 and married historian and writer Donald Creighton on June 23 of the same year. Her writings include High bright buggy wheels, McClelland & Stewart, 1951; Turn east, turn west, McClelland & Stewart, 1954; Canada, the struggle for empire (non-fiction), Dent, 1960; Canada, trial and triumph (non- fiction), Dent, 1963; Tecumseh, the story of the shawnee chief (juvenile biography), Macmillan, 1965; Miss Multipenny and Miss Crumb, Peal, 1966; The elegant Canadians (non-fiction), McClelland & Stewart, 1967; The hitching post, McClelland & Stewart, 1969. Luella Creighton died in 1996 [?].
Robert T.G. Nicol, professional photographer and owner of Personal Studio, was born Aug. 16, 1922 in Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia. In 1927 the family moved to Stratford, Ont., where he attended local public and high schools. In 1940 his family moved again, this time to Kitchener, Ont; he finished high school at Kitchener Collegiate that year. His photographic career had started earlier, in 1939, when as a 16-year he took pictures of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth when they stopped in Stratford on June 6, 1939 as part of their Royal Tour of Canada. The drugstore where he took the negatives to be developed marketed the photographs which subsequently appeared in many publications.
After completing high school Robert Nicol worked in a variety of jobs in Kitchener-Waterloo, including at Zapfe's Machine Shop, Waterloo Manufacturing and the Ontario Die Co. In 1945 he and an old school friend began to plan a photographic studio that opened for business on March 21, 1946, and of which Nicol was the sole owner by the fall of 1946. For the next fifty years Robert Nicol documented the Waterloo Region through personal and commercial photography. He pioneered the concept of wedding albums in the local area. He had started flying in 1961 and from that time on took aerial photographs as well as studio and candid photography. In the course of his career he maintained memberships in professional photographers' organizations as well as completing continuing photographic educational courses offered by those organizations. He retired as a professional photographer in 1996.
Robert Nicol married Marjorie Gray on Aug. 8, 1941 and had two children, a son and a daughter. Marjorie died in 1987. Robert Nicol married again in 1996 to Renie Andersen, a long-time companion.
The Hespeler Furniture Company was started in 1901 in Hespeler, Ontario (now a part of Cambridge) by Mr. George A. Gruetzner, who was originally from Buffalo, N.Y. He worked for The Simpson Co. of Berlin (now Kitchener), Ont., first as a salesman and then as the manager of its factory in Berlin. When this company merged with the Canada Furniture Syndicate, Gruetzner established his own factory in Hespeler in 1901.
George Greutzner was active in the community, serving on the Parks Board, and then on Town Council. He was elected mayor of Hespeler in 1925 and served for five years. He died in 1949. (Source Waterloo Historical Society 37 (1949): 45.)
Percy R. Hilborn was born in Berlin (now Kitchener), Ont. in 1886. He graduated from McGill University and became a prominent industrialist and philanthropist in Preston, Ont., now part of Cambridge. He was involved in furniture manufacture, including the Canadian Office and School Furniture Co. and Canada Sand Papers Ltd.
He served the community in many ways: he was charter president of the Rotary Club of Preston-Hespeler, chairman of the Preston Planning Board, and a charter governor on the Board of Governors of the University of Waterloo in 1957. He was named to the honour roll of the Grand River Conservation Authority after donating a 145 acre park.
The Canadian Coalition on Acid Rain began in 1981 and for most of the 1980's was Canada’s largest environmental group. It played a central role in raising awareness of the acid rain issue, through advocacy, educational programmes and by lobbying the governments of both Canada and the United States for the passage of legislation resticting acid rain-causing emissions. With the passage of amendments to the U.S. Clean Air Act in 1990 the Coalition’s mandate was completed and the group disbanded. During the decade of its existence the Coalition was headed by Michael Perley and Adele Hurley, its executive co-ordinators and chief lobbyists. Starting in 1981 with 12 member groups representing tourism, naturalist and sportsmen’s associations, the CCAR maintained offices in both Toronto and Washington. Registered as a charitable organization in Canada, the CCAR was registered as a lobby group in the United States, and was the first-ever Canadian lobby group to be so registered in Washington. By 1991 the Coalition had grown to 58 member groups, representing over 2 million Canadians.
CCAR worked closely with the Canadian Acid Precipitation Foundation, a registered charitable organization created to carry out a variety of educational projects on the acid rain issue, and to support the educational work of the Coalition. The Foundation’s activities included extensive direct mail campaigns asking for private donations, the sale of merchandise, charitable dinners featuring such prominent speakers as Senator Edward Kennedy and Alan Gotleib (former Canadian ambassador to the United States), and the AirWatch monitoring project.
Robert (Bob) Starbird Dorney, 1928-1987, was an ecologist and a pioneer in the field of environmental management. A native of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, he received his PhD from the University of Wisconsin in Veterinary Science and Wildlife Management with an interest in diseases of wild animals. He worked first as a conservation biologist in Wisconsin with the State Conservation Department and at the University of Wisconsin, during which time he wrote on ruffed grouse, raccoons, squirrels and rabbits. He then moved to Latin America and for three years was a science advisor on renewable natural resources to the countries involved in the Pan American Union. In 1967 he was hired by the University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, School of Urban and Regional Planning, as a professor in the area of applied ecology, environmental and resource management. For twenty years he educated students, politicians, developers and the general public on the value of the science of ecology in improving the design and livability of urban environments, a private as well as a public commitment. As a founding member of the Waterloo Region's Ecological and Environmental Advisory Committee, he was a major force in identifying environmentally sensitive areas for inclusion in the Region's master plan, while at his home he developed a mini-ecosystem of natural vegetation which was studied by students and gardeners alike. He was also a founding partner of Ecoplans Ltd., an environmental planning consulting company, and author of The Professional Practice of Environmental Management published posthumously in 1989.
Eric McCormack (b. 1938) is a Canadian author, reviewer, and academic. He grew up in the small industrial community of Bellshill in Scotland where his his father worked in the steel mill. Eric McCormack obtained a Masters Degree in English Literature from the University of Glasgow. In 1966 he left Scotland for doctoral studies at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Canada. In 1970 he accepted a teaching post in the English Department of St. Jerome's College (Now St. Jerome's University) at the University of Waterloo, where he specialized in seventeenth-century and contemporary literature.
As an author Eric McCormack began his career writing short stories which appeared in small literary journals including Prism International, West Coast Review, Malahat Review, and The New Quarterly. In 1987 his first book Inspecting the Vaults was released. This is a collection of nineteen short stories, thirteen of which had been previously published in literary magazines. His first novel, The Paradise Motel, was published in February 1989. Eric McCormack became the focus of considerable media interest and his books were translated into many foreign languages. His next novel The Mysterium was released in 1989, and his most recent book First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women, was published in 1997. Eric McCormack also frequently reviews for The Globe and Mail. His works to date have received much critical acclaim.
Eric McCormack has won and/or been nominated for many prestigious literary awards. In 1988 Eric McCormack was one of two recipients of the Commonwealth Writers Prize in the Canada Caribbean Region for his work Inspecting the Vaults. He was awarded the Spring Book Award by the Scottish Arts Council for his novel The Paradise Motel in 1990, and in the same year he was one of the nominees for the People's Prize for Fiction. In 1997 the author was short-listed for the Governor-General Award for his work of fiction First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women. In 1999 Eric McCormack was awarded the Literacy Award at the Eleventh K-W Arts Awards Ceremony.
Eric McCormack has also read at many international and national literary festivals including Harbourfront, Vancouver, Ottawa, The Eden Mills Writers' Festival and the Elora Writers Festival. He has also given readings at the University of Waterloo, at other universities, in local public libraries, in bookstores, and at other venues.
(Source : GA 117, Series 1, Files 1-1, 1-3 to 1-5, and 1-7 to 1-8 )
Naomi Gwladys Royde-Smith (1875–1964), literary editor and writer, was born on 30 April 1875 at Craven Edge, Halifax, Yorkshire, the eldest of six daughters and two sons of Michael Holroyd Smith (1847–1932), an electrical engineer responsible for the electrification of the City and South London Railway, as well as an inventor of a helicopter and a boomerang, among other things, and Anne (Daisy), née Williams (1848–1934), the daughter of the Reverend Ebenezer Williams of Penybont, Wales, and ‘a zealous student of the Bible’ (private information, M. Royde Smith). Matthew Smith, the painter, was a cousin. In the Wood, a novel written in 1928, was in part a description of her Yorkshire childhood. When the Holroyd Smith family moved to London (the children all taking the surname Royde-Smith), Naomi and her sisters attended Clapham high school; her education was finished in Switzerland at Geneva, and she then began to earn her living, becoming a well-respected reviewer. She also wrote poetry but did not publish any.
From 1904 onwards Naomi lived in London with her sister Leslie (b. 1884) in rooms in Oakley Street, Chelsea (later she also had a cottage at Holmbury St Mary, near Dorking, Surrey) and worked at the Saturday Westminster Gazette, both reviewing and writing the ‘Problems and prizes page’. By 1912 she had become literary editor, the first time a woman had held this position, publishing early work by, among others, Rupert Brooke, D. H. Lawrence, and Graham Greene. Her large circle of friends included J. C. Squire, William Beveridge, Hugh Walpole, and Middleton Murry.
"Miss Royde-Smith had risen entirely through her own ability and drive. She had a forceful personality, sharp-tongued and sharp-witted; she was extremely well read and, while quite able to tackle men on their own terms, she was also fair-haired, feminine and a successful hostess" (Whistler, 173) wrote the biographer of Walter de la Mare, the poet, who met Naomi in the spring of 1911 and was to be in love with her for the next five years (writing her nearly 400 letters). On Naomi's part she ‘felt a great need to be artist's Muse. She wanted the men she loved to be men of genius … Her chief usefulness was the confidence she gave him’ (ibid., 178, 187); she was, however, ambivalent towards men sexually. A close friend at this period was the novelist Rose Macaulay; in the years after the First World War ‘she and Rose, acting jointly as hostesses, received such diverse authors as Arnold Bennett, W. B. Yeats, Edith Sitwell and Aldous Huxley’ (Smith, 100) at Naomi's flat, 44 Prince's Gardens, Kensington, where, Mary Agnes Hamilton remarked, ‘everybody in the literary world, the not yet arrived as well as the established, was to be met’ (Emery, 191) and where Naomi ‘dressed à la 1860; swinging earrings, skirt in balloons … sat in complete command. Here she had her world round her. It was a queer mixture of the intelligent & the respectable’ (Diary of Virginia Woolf, 5 June 1921). Rose Macaulay was to satirize Naomi at this period of her life in Crewe Train (1926), where she appears as Aunt Evelyn, ‘a fashionable, meddling, arch-gossip’ (Emery).
It was only after Naomi had given up her job in 1922 that she began to write fiction: The Tortoiseshell Cat, which was in some ways her best novel, appeared in 1925, and over the next thirty-five years she went on to publish nearly forty more novels, several biographies (for example of Mrs Siddons and of Maurice de Guérin), and four plays. The novels are admired by some but others are of the opinion that "in spite of a good style, intelligence and frequent touches of truth to character, her novels have no great imagination. Too often the romantic parts suffer from wish-fulfillment studies in masculine Genius that remind one uneasily of many inferior passages in her letters to de la Mare." (Whistler, 342)
Lovat Dickson wrote that ‘none of her novels … is likely to survive’ (The Times, 30 July 1964) but Betty Askwith responded by saying that The Delicate Situation (1931) should be remembered and deserved comparison with Alain-Fournier's Le grand Meaulnes. She observed that ‘any writer might be proud to have written just one book on that level’ (The Times, 4 Aug 1964). Other novels that are admired are For Us in the Dark (1937) and The Altar-Piece: an Edwardian Mystery (1939).
On 15 December 1926, at Lynton parish church, Devon, Naomi married the Italian-American actor Ernest Gianello Milton; she was fifty-one, fifteen years older than her husband (but pretended to twelve). She gave up her hectic social life, although continuing to review and being for a period art critic of Queen magazine, and settled into a surprisingly successful marriage—‘a triumph over unlikeliness by the strong-minded, romantic woman she was, and the histrionic, highly-strung, generous-minded actor. He placed her, for life, on a pedestal of admiration, though not by temperament drawn to her sex’ (Whistler, 342).
The Miltons lived variously in Hatfield in Hertfordshire, Chelsea in London, Wells in Somerset (during the 1930s), and then (during the 1940s and 1950s) in a house in Winchester once lived in by Nell Gwyn, 34 Colebrook Street in the shadow of the cathedral, and later on nearby at Flat 4, 43 Hyde Street. In 1942 both became Roman Catholics. At this period of her life Naomi Milton was, according to her niece, Jane Tilley, ‘hugely amusing, chain-smoked, was large and uncorseted, and wore large patterns’. ‘The sheer luxuriance of Naomi's discourse is what stays with me’ was the impression of her nephew, Michael Royde Smith. She continued to write in spite of increasing blindness. At the end of her life she and Ernest went to live in London at Abbey Court Hotel, 15 Netherhall Gardens, Hampstead. She died from renal failure at the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, Marylebone, on 28 July 1964 and was buried in Hampstead cemetery. Her husband survived her.
(Nicola Beauman, ‘Smith, Naomi Gwladys Royde- (1875–1964)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004; online edn, May 2014 [http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/56910, accessed 13 March 2015]).
Gordon Ray Good (1905-2000), Kaufman Rubber employee, was born August 13, 1905 to Reverend Cyrus Good and Livy C. Hallman in Aylmer, Ontario. Gordon’s father was a New Mennonite Church minister and he and Livy had three children besides Gordon: Grace (b. 1901), Ira (b. 1903) and Myrtle (b. 1909).
As Gordon’s father was a minister, the family moved frequently during his childhood and they first came to Kitchener in 1910. In 1913 they moved to Blair (now Cambridge) and in 1917 back to Kitchener where Gordon would settle for his adult life. Gordon originally began working for Merchant’s Rubber, a subsidiary of Dominion Rubber, in 1923 as a pay clerk in the factory office. After two years with Dominion Rubber, he decided to move on and applied at Kaufman Rubber. He began working in the factory office in the Costs & Payroll department on September 2, 1925. Upon the death of his supervisor Ed Snyder, Gordon took over as head of Costs and Payroll. He remained with Kaufman until his retirement in September of 1972. Gordon Good died May 5, 2000. (From Ancestry and GA 148).
Ross Vernon Dixon (1914-2009) was an entrepreneur and philanthropist in Kitchener, Ontario. He had a career in industrial relations and his entrepreneurial interests included construction and investment businesses. Ross Dixon was born in Toronto in 1914, and he attended the Hillcrest Private School (now Hillfield Strathallan College) in Hamilton. During the 1930s, his family moved back to Toronto where his father started a sporting goods business. Ross Dixon worked for his father for almost ten years, during which time he formed a company to manufacture felt crests for sports uniforms and took extension courses in business administration from the University of Toronto. During that time he also met Doris McRae Whiting from Orillia, Ontario, and they were married in 1942.
Ross Dixon began his career in industrial relations in 1940 when he was hired as Assistant Personnel Manager at Research Enterprises Limited in Leaside, Ontario. In 1944, he became Personnel Manager at Otaco Limited in Orillia, Ontario. In 1947 he accepted the position of Industrial Relations Manager for the Dominion Rubber Company, Footwear Division, in Kitchener, and in 1959 he became the Director of Industrial Relations for the company (which eventually became Uniroyal Canada). Throughout his career, he was an active member of the Industrial Accident Prevention Association, serving as president from 1959 to 1960.
Shortly after Ross and Doris moved to Kitchener, Ross formed the Westmount Construction Company, which built around 150 homes in Kitchener and Waterloo during the 1950s and 1960s in the area surrounding the Westmount Golf and Country Club. Around 1953, he also formed Westmont Enterprises Limited as a holding company for the Westmount Construction Company and several other interests in which he was involved.
He retired from Uniroyal Canada in 1977 and became a local agent for the Morgan Trust Company, and a year later formed Ross Dixon and Associates. In 1990 he sold a majority interest to a holding company and Ross Dixon Financial Services was formed. This company eventually had thirty franchises in Ontario.
Ross and Doris Dixon were active philanthropists in their community, supporting many charitable organizations as well as providing scholarships for students at Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Waterloo through the Ross and Doris Dixon Charitable Foundation. Ross served as a member of the Board of Governors of Wilfrid Laurier University for eight years. In 2002, Ross and Doris Dixon received honourary degrees (LLD) from Wilfrid Laurier University.
(Source: contents of the fonds; "Ross Vernon Dixon: a Canadian entrepreneur and philanthropist," by Gordon M. Ward, Kitchener: [2003?].)
Charles E. Greb (1929-2009) was a businessman and philanthropist living near Ayr, Ontario. Born in Kitchener, Greb was the youngest child of Erwin C. (1894-1954) and Clara Greb. His father and grandfather, Charles E. Greb Sr., acquired the Berlin Shoe Manufacturing Company in 1912, and in 1916 the company received a new charter and was renamed the Greb Shoe Company Limited. By the time it was sold in 1974, Greb Industries Limited had become the largest shoe manufacturer in Canada. Charles Greb began his career with the family company in 1948 as a factory worker, and went on to manage plants in Kitchener and Winnipeg. He became director of sales in 1962, and then from 1969 to 1976 he served as executive vice-president. Greb later became the CEO of Musitron Communications, which became part of Grebco Holdings Ltd., a personal investment firm. He was also director and chairman of Skyjack Inc. of Guelph, director and chairman of Virtek Vision International Inc. of Waterloo, and managing partner of Woodside Fund, a California venture capital partnership.
Greb was involved in several community organizations and initiatives, including: the National Council of YMCAs of Canada, the YMCA of Kitchener-Waterloo, the Kitchener-Waterloo Hospital Foundation, the Kitchener Chamber of Commerce, the Ontario Summer Games, Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest, Junior Achievement of Waterloo Region, Junior Achievement of Canada, and CAA Ontario. He was a member of the Board of Governors of St. Paul's College (University of Waterloo) and the Board of Regents of Luther College (University of Regina), and chairman of the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium Board of Management and of the Kitchener Economic Development Board. He also received many awards, including the Kitchener Citizen of the Year (1978), a Province of Ontario Bicentennial Medal, an Ontario Volunteer Service gold award, a Canada 125th Anniversary medal for contributions to Canada, a Companion of the Fellowship of Honour YMCA Canada, the Lou Buckley Award - Kitchener-Waterloo YMCA, and the Paul Harris Fellow of Rotary International.
Charles Greb’s brothers were also involved in Greb Industries Limited. Harry D. Greb (1916-1998) joined the company as a book-keeper in 1932. Upon the death of his father in 1954, he became company president and held that position until he retired in 1974. Harry Greb was president of the Shoe Manufacturers Association of Canada, the Shoe Information Bureau, and the Shoe and Leather Council of Canada. He was also a director of the Equitable Life Insurance Company and chairman of the board of Waterloo Lutheran University (now Wilfrid Laurier University), as well as a member of several organizations, including: Waterloo County Shrine Club, Kitchener Rotary Club, and Grand River and Scottish Rite Masonic Lodges. In 1971, he was honoured with an LLD degree. Harry was also an avid sailor.
Arthur C. Greb (1917-1982) joined the family company in 1935 and managed the company’s entrance into the retail business with a chain of stores called “Yellow Label” based in Vancouver. This venture was short-lived and Arthur returned to Kitchener to manage the purchasing department at the Greb Shoe Company. He retired in 1974.
Clara May Greb (1921-2006), sister to Harry, Arthur, and Charles, was a philanthropist and involved in the Kitchener-Waterloo YMCA, Junior Achievement of Waterloo Region, and the endowment foundations of both of these organizations.
Charles E. Greb, Sr. (1859-1934) was a politician and businessman in Berlin/Kitchener. Born in Zurich, Ontario, he was a carpenter by trade and operated a hardware store and hotel in Zurich before moving to Berlin in 1909 with his wife Caroline and son Erwin. He was involved with the Berlin Shoe Manufacturing Company from its incorporation in 1910 as Secretary-Treasurer. When Erwin purchased the controlling interest in the Greb Shoe Company from his father in 1918, Charles remained involved with the business in an advisory capacity, and devoted more time to politics. He served as an alderman in Kitchener from 1917 to 1921, 1924 to 1927, and 1929 to 1931; and as Mayor for two terms, from 1921 to 1922.
(Source: content of the fonds; Briggs, T. and Greb, C.E., The Greb Story, Kitchener: Grebco Holdings Ltd., 2008; and Waterloo County Hall of Fame biographies: http://tinyurl.com/nsotv4)
William Henry Eugene (W.H.E.) Schmalz was born July 29, 1890 in Waterloo Township to William Henry Schmalz (1862-1933) and Eleanor Oelschlager (1867-??). W.H.E.’s father, William Henry, was an insurance salesman and later the mayor of Berlin (now Kitchener). In 1915 W.H.E. married Rachel Beatrice Richardson (1890-??) and had one child, Herbert Schmalz (1916-2000).
W.H.E. attended Royal Military College where he was educated in map and architectural drawings, and in 1916 served with the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. W.H.E. later attended the University of Toronto and ultimately became an architect. W.H.E. is perhaps best known for designing the original City Hall of the City of Kitchener which was completed in 1924 and torn down in 1973. He contributed significantly to Ontario architecture both on his own and working for firms such as Pearson and Darling.
W.H.E. was involved in many aspects of life in Kitchener including as a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Kitchener Parks Board, the Kiwanis Club and the Kitchener Musical Society. He also held a personal interest in philately and wrote a text on the postal history of Waterloo County. W.H.E. died January 25, 1981.
Dominion Woollens and Worsteds Ltd. came into Hespeler in 1928 when the company purchased the R. Forbes Company Ltd. mill at what is now Queen St. West in Cambridge. The company would operate in Hespeler until 1959 when it went into receivership and was purchased by Silknit. As the largest woollens and worsteds mill in the British colonies at the time, the factory played a large role in the history of Hespeler, at one time employing almost one third of all citizens of the village.
During and immediately after WWII the mill employed a large number of female employees from both the Hespeler area as well as those who were brought in to work from Newfoundland and Northern Ontario. These women lived in boarding houses or dormitories provided by the mill and many of them stayed in Hespeler after the war, forever changing the village.
Production ceased permanently at the mill in 1984 and one third of it was destroyed shortly afterward in a fire. Today the portion of the mill that still stands is rented by retail stores.
In 1986 Kenneth McLaughlin and three graduate students began to conduct oral history interviews with workers from the mill who were still living in the region, including those women who came from Newfoundland and Northern Ontario.
Isobel MacKay was Assistant Dean of Women at the University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario during the time period covered by the documents in this fonds, and as such was involved in the organization and operation of a group called "Community Resources for Women." This group was formed early in 1978 to answer a perceived need for communication among groups and agencies in the region who were then providing services to women and described itself as a "non-profit, inter-agency group whose objectives are to co-ordinate programs of activity which allow for information sharing, discovery of ways to co-operate and skill acquisition for group members." The group operated successfully at least until 1983, with representation from approximately forty community groups and agencies. Activities included luncheon meetings with speakers and skills development workshops. The group also put out a newsletter for members and compiled a service directory of participating organizations. Isobel MacKay was involved in Community Resources for Women from its beginnings and in 1980-1981 served as the Chair of the Steering Committee.
The Dominion Life Assurance Company was established in 1889. In 1912 Dominion Life moved to their new head office at 14 Erb Street west, a building formerly owned by the Ontario Mutual Life Assurance Company. In 1956 the Lincoln National Life Insurance Company of Fort Wayne acquired controlling shares, but continued to operate the company under its incorporated name. The company was bought by Manulife in 1985.
William E. Short was born in Tottenham, England on Dec. 18, 1878. He enlisted with the 34th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force in Jan., 1915 in Galt, Ont., trained in Canada and England, and arrived in France on Aug. 3, 1915, where he was attached to the 1st Battalion. He was promoted to Corporal on Oct. 11, 1916 and to acting Company Quartermaster Sergeant on Feb. 1, 1917. William Short married Lilly Meechum August 7, 1918, while on leave in London, England, a fact not noted in his diary. W.E.Short returned to Canada in May, 1919. (Source: attestation papers, diary contents.)
Richard Hobson (1938) was born to Wilfred Hobson (1899-1995) and Kathleen McKittrick (1904-1992). The family has its roots in the United Kingdom, and Hobson’s paternal grandfather Edward came to Canada from Ireland in 1884 and his father Wilfred from England in 1910. The two families settled in Ontario and Kathleen and Wilfred met in Toronto at St. Clement’s Church Tennis Club. Kathleen and Wilifred married and went on to have three children: John Edward (1933), Richard James (1938) and Kathleen Margaret Stephanie (?).
Richard Hobson married Mary (Penny) Paisley (b.1939), daughter of Elmer Paisley (1907-1976) and Margaret Rieder. Penny Paisley’s mother Margaret was the daughter of local prominent businessman Talmon Rieder and his wife Martha Anthes. (from Ancestry and "Hobson, Richard. One tree many roots. Waterloo: Richard Hobson, 2010").
Annie Elizabeth May Hewlett (1887-1974) was a writer in Saskatchewan. She was born Annie Elizabeth May Brown in Sutton-on-Hull, Yorkshire, England, on February 25, 1887. At the age of 12 she established a newspaper that continued to circulate in her district for years after she immigrated to Canada. She attended teachers college in London and taught school prior to her sailing for Canada in the spring of 1911. That summer, she taught painting at Banff, and in December of that year, she married Arthur Hewlett. Early in 1912, Arthur and Annie Hewlett moved to Cannington Manor in southeast Saskatchewan. During the depression years, Annie wrote a column called "Down on the farm" for the Saskatchewan Farmer. In 1970, at the age of 83, she published her first book, A too short yesterday, and in 1972-1973 a serial, "The gate," appeared in the Western Producer. Exhibitions of her watercolour paintings were held at the Regina Public Library, as well as one in Laguna Beach, California. She was the first president of the Saskatchewan Homemakers' Association for farm wives, and a member of the Canadian Women's Press Club.
Arthur Gordon Shoosmith (1888-1974), an English architect who worked in India, was born in St. Petersburg in 1888. He grew up in Russia and Finland and was educated in England at Haileybury. He served his articles in Reading, and then attended the Royal Academy Schools in 1911. After serving in the war as an interpreter for the Intelligence Corps, he worked for the architectural practices of H.S. Gooodhart-Rendel, and J.J. Burnet. In 1920 he won the Soane Medallion and was appointed as Edwin Lutyens's representative in New Delhi, where he worked from 1920-1931. He was nominated by Lutyens for the commission of the design of St. Martin's Garrison Church in New Delhi (1928-1930), and his other major work is the Lady Hardinge Serai in New Delhi (1931). Shoosmith returned to England in 1931, where he made a career of teaching and as an inspector with the Ministry of Town and Country Planning. He retired in 1957, and died in 1974. Source: Davies, Philip: "Shoosmith, Arthur (Gordon)" The Grove Dictionary of Art Online, (Oxford University Press, Accessed [13 April 2004]) http://www.groveart.com.
Hugh Bernard Noel Hynes, BSc, PhD, DSc, ARCS, FRSC (1917-2009), was a biologist and professor at the University of Waterloo and credited with founding the field of lotic limnology, the study of flowing fresh water. Hynes was born in 1917 in Devizes, England, and studied biology at Imperial College in London. After graduating in 1938, he enrolled at the University of London as an external student to study at the lab of the Freshwater Biological Association in the English Lake District. He graduated from the University of London in 1941 with a PhD in entomology; his thesis was on stoneflies (plecoptera).
During World War II, through a British government program to employ scientists in their professional capacity rather than as soldiers, Hynes was sent to Trinidad for six months to study tropical agriculture. In 1942, he married Mary Hinks and was sent to East Africa to work in the locust control program of the British Colonial Office. He spent the rest of the war attempting to eradicate locusts in Ethiopia, Kenya, and Somalia. After the war, he accepted a teaching post at the University of Liverpool. By the end of the 1950s, had established a solid reputation as an aquatic biologist; part of his work during this period related to river pollution.
In 1964, he came to the University of Waterloo to establish the biology department. He was its first permanent chair and spent the rest of his career there. He also spent two sabbatical years studying stoneflies in Australia. When he retired in 1983 he became a distinguished professor emeritus, but continued to work at his lab and with graduate students until 1993. In 1998, he was awarded the Naumann-Theinemann Medal from the Congress of International Limnological Society in Dublin, the highest honour available in the field of aquatic biology.
An internationally renowned biologist, Hynes published over 190 papers in the course of seven decades, and two of his books became classics in the field: The Biology of Polluted Waters (1960) and The Ecology of Running Waters (1970). He pioneered the field of modern stream ecology and was the first to show how food webs in streams depend on the surrounding landscape and how pollution changes them.
(Source: Hynes, Noel. Nunc Dimittis: a life in the river of time. Leiden, Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers, 2001; Abbate, Gay. "Limnologist founded the biology department at the University of Waterloo" (obituary). Globe and Mail, 26 March 2009: S8.)
K. Mary E. Shaw was a teacher and/or student at the Battersea Polytechnic Institute in 1904. Battersea College of Education had its origins in the department of ‘Women’s Studies’ at Battersea Polytechnic Institute. A special grant had been given to the Polytechnic by London County Council to open a teacher training school in domestic economy, and the first eleven full-time students started their course in 1894. The department was reorganized by the Board of Education as a teachers’ training school in 1895. The Battersea Polytechnic Institute eventually became the University of Surrey. (Source: Pickering & Chatto antiquarian booksellers – catalogue)
Greb Industries Limited was a shoe and boot manufacturing company based in Kitchener, Ontario. Charles E. Greb, who had moved to Berlin (now Kitchener) from Zurich, Ontario, in 1909, became the secretary-treasurer of the Berlin Shoe Manufacturing Company when it was incorporated in 1910. His son Erwin Greb joined the company as book-keeper. In 1912, Charles and Erwin acquired the company, and in 1916 it received a new charter of incorporation under the name Greb Shoe Company Limited, with Charles as president and Erwin as secretary-treasurer. In 1918, Erwin bought the controlling interest in the company from his father, who remained involved with the business in an advisory capacity.
The Greb Shoe Company, which had plants on Queen Street and at the corner of Mansion and Chestnut Streets in Kitchener, was again reorganized and received a new charter in 1930. In 1938, it acquired Valentine and Martin Limited, a Waterloo manufacturer of work boots, shoes, and dress shoes, which continued to operate as a separate business until it was merged with the Greb Shoe Company in 1951. Operations by that time were consolidated at a plant on Breithaupt Street in Kitchener. When Erwin Greb died in 1954, his son Harry D. Greb took over as company president. Erwin’s other sons were also involved in the company as directors; Arthur was in senior management and Charles was a plant manager and eventually became executive vice-president (1969-1976).
In 1959, the company purchased the Canada West Shoe Manufacturing Company of Winnipeg, including its popular Kodiak brand boots. The expansion into Western Canada began a period of tremendous growth for the company. Manufacturing facilities were expanded, and the company made several other acquisitions, including Bauer Canadian Skate; Tebbutt Shoe and Leather Company of Trois-Rivieres, Quebec; and Collins Safety Shoes of Peterborough. A skate and boot plant was eventually opened in Bangor, Maine. The most significant factor in the company’s growth through the 1960s was the popularity of Hush Puppies brand of casual shoes, which Greb began manufacturing under license from Wolverine World Wide of Rockford, Michigan, in the early 1960s. The mascot for this line of footwear, a basset hound named Velvet, was a popular symbol for the brand. In 1966, Greb Industries Limited became a publicly-traded company, and by the early 1970s it had grown to become Canada’s largest footwear manufacturer, employing 1200 people in Kitchener and another 1100 in Winnipeg, Trois-Rivieres, and Bangor. In 1974, the company was purchased by Warrington Products Limited of Mississauga.
Greb Industries Limited continued to manufacture footwear under the new owners, with several changes in operations, including the closure of several plants and a move for the head office from its Ardelt Avenue location in Kitchener to Mississauga. In 1987, Warrington sold the Greb division, which consisted mainly of Hush Puppies and Kodiak shoes and boots, to Taurus Footwear of Montreal. Production of Hush Puppies ended in 1989 when the licence was surrendered to Wolverine. The Bauer skate division, operating as Canstar Sports, had been relocated to Cambridge and sold to Nike. The last Greb plant in Kitchener, a Kodiak boot plant on Hayward Avenue, closed in 1991. In 1992, the Royal Bank took control of Taurus Footwear and formed Greb International to market the Kodiak brand domestically and internationally. In 2000 this company became Kodiak Group Holdings Inc., and in 2005, it purchased Terra Footwear in Newfoundland and has factories in Markdale, Ontario; Harbour Grace, Newfoundland; and in Asia.
(Source: content of the fonds, and Briggs, T. and Greb, C.E., The Greb Story, Kitchener: Grebco Holdings Ltd., 2008)
Dr. Ken Ledbetter ([1932?]-1993) was a professor of English at the University of Waterloo and a writer. He joined the English department in 1966 and served as deputy dean of arts from 1968-1969, associate dean (special programs) from 1975-1981, and acting director of the correspondence program from 1980-1981. He received a Distinguised Teacher Award in 1983. He also founded several programs in the Faculty of Arts, including the English language proficiency program. Ledbetter was also a writer of short stories and novels, and his biggest success was Too Many Blackbirds (1984).
William Kriesel owned the first hardware store in New Dundee, Ontario. He bought the building for his stove and tinware store in 1871 from the estate of the original owner, John Millar, for $1,200. He operated the hardware store from 1871 to 1906, and then passed the business on to his son, Bert Kriesel, who operated it from 1906 to 1912. Several prominent New Dundee business owners' names appear in Kriesel's day books and ledgers, including furniture maker Andrew Poth, carriage maker J.M. Weber [ie. Webber], harness maker A.B. McRae, flour mill owner E.W.B. Snider [ie. Snyder], butcher Charles Hiller, woolen mill owner Charles Kaufman, and the Kolebrenner brother blacksmiths. Sources: Hilborn, Miriam. "The E.T. Coleman Hardware Store in New Dundee." Waterloo Historical Society 50 (1962): 79; New Hamburg-Wilmot Township Centennial Committee. More than a century in Wilmot Township. New Hamburg: The Committee, 1967; and The Union Publishing Co's (of Ingersoll) Farmers' and Business Directory for the Counties of Peel, Waterloo and Wellington, 1893, Vol. VII. Union Publishing Company of Ingersoll, 1893.
James Rutherford and George Harrington Guy were sons of Harry L. Guy. H.L. Guy was general manager of the Mutual Life Assurance Company of Canada and sat on the Board of Governors of the University of Waterloo. In 1933 H.L. Guy and his wife had a home built at 110 John Boulevard in the Westmount region of Waterloo.
The Jardine family of Hespeler, Ont. originated in Scotland, near Glasgow. William Jordan, (Jardine), collier, married Catherine Bell in 1814. Andrew Bell Jardine, their son, a machinist, married Isabella Dawson in 1844 and came to Canada from Scotland ca. 1854. He and his family moved from Toronto to Hespeler, Ont. ca. 1862 to start a foundry business. This was A.B. Jardine Co. Ltd., one of the pioneer industries of the area, which Andrew owned in partnership with other family members including James Jardine, Peter Jardine and James Dawson.
Nazla L. Dane was born in Indian Head Sask., in 1906 and spent her early years in Saskatchewan. She taught public and secondary school in Saskatchewan from 1925-1933, worked for various businesses in Regina and Vancouver, and then worked in the Departments of Munitions and Supply and Transport in Ottawa from 1941-1945. She worked as director of both the Women's and Educational Divisions of the Canadian Life Insurance Association from 1945 to 1971. In the course of her work she wrote news columns and travelled across the country speaking to women's groups not only about finances and money management, but about women's issues such as rights, laws and employment. Nazla Dane was elected President of the Toronto Business and Professional Women's Club 1949-1951, President of the Ontario BPW 1958-61, President of the Canadian BPW 1964-1966 and from 1971-1974 served as President of the International Federation of Business and Professional Women. She has been active all her life in many women's organizations, including the YWCA, VON, Women's Canadian Club, Toronto and Area Council of Women, among others. In 1977 she received the Queen Elizabeth Silver Jubilee Medal and in 1985 received the Persons Award from Governor-General Jeanne Sauve.
Kenneth G. Murray is a philanthropist living in the Waterloo-Wellington area of Ontario. He was born in 1924 in Chatham, Ont. and served in the Canadian Navy from 1943 to 1945., He was educated at the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph, Ont. and received a B.SC. (Agriculture) in 1950. From 1950 to 1987 he worked for J.M. Schneider in Kitchener, Ont., starting as a salesman and becoming president, a position he filled from 1969 to 1985. He has been a director on the boards of several corporations: Homewood Health Centre and Corporation in Guelph, Ont.; Canada Trust in London, Ont.; and B.F. Goodrich, Dominion Life Insurance Co. Ltd and J.M. Schneider Inc. in Kitchener, Ont. He has actively supported, in person and financially, many community organizations and initiatives as well as educational facilities and opportunities in Kitchener-Waterloo and Guelph. These include the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony, Westmount Golf Club, Kitchener-Waterloo Community Foundation, K-W Oktoberfest, Kitchener Chamber of Commerce, Kitchener Young Men's Club, Kitchener Public School Board and the Kitchener-Waterloo Operatic Society. In 1993 he initiated the Homewood Foundation in Guelph, a fundraising and granting agency for mental health research, education and patient care. The Universities of Guelph and Waterloo have benefited from his involvement. At the University of Guelph he initiated the Science and Society Project and the Ken Murray Annual Lecture Series, was on the Board of Governors from 1971 to 1979 and has served on several committees and in fundraising campaigns. At the University of Waterloo Ken Murray initiated the Murray Alzheimer Research and Education Program (MAREP) in 1992.
Ken Murray has received many honours and awards in the course of his lifetime, including the Order of Canada in 2000, and The Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee medal in 2002. He received honourary degrees from the University of Guelph and the University of Waterloo in 1996 and 1995 respectively.
Alphonse Illig was born in 1889 and married Rose Mehlman on July 27, 1921. Alphonse worked for Bauer Limited. Their son Joseph Illig was born in 1924. Joseph joined the Canadian forces for the Second World War and served on the HMCS Kirkland Lake. He was later a founding member of the K-W Naval Veterans Association and a member of the Royal Canadian Legion. Joseph died in 2012.
Donald D. Cowan is a Distinguished Professor Emeritus (1999) and Adjunct Professor in the School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario. He received a BASc in Engineering Physics from the University of Toronto in 1960 and an MSc and PhD from the University of Waterloo in Applied Mathematics in 1961 and 1965 respectively. He joined the Faculty of the University of Waterloo in 1961 and was the first chair of the Dept. of Applied Analysis and Computer Science, now the School of Computer Science (1967 to 1972) and also served as Associate Dean of Graduate Studies in the Faculty of Mathematics (1974 to 1978). Donald D. Cowan is Director of the Computer Systems Group, a computer science research group at the University of Waterloo in which he has been involved since the early 1960's.