- Corporate body
"Mackenzie House is a late-Georgian Greek Revival row-house located at 82 Bond Street in downtown Toronto. The house is significant for its connection to William Lyon Mackenzie, the city’s first mayor and a radical journalist and political reformer. The Bond Street residence was purchased by Mackenzie’s friends and supporters, and presented to him in 1859. Mackenzie lived at Bond Street until his death in 1861, and his family continued to reside in the house until 1871. The building was occupied by various tenants until the 1930s when it was purchased by businessman T. Wilbur Best, who established the William Lyon Mackenzie Homestead Foundation to preserve and operate the house as a public museum. In 1960 the property was deeded to the City of Toronto, and its management was transferred to the newly formed Toronto Historical Board (THB)."
The Mackenzie House was opened as a Museum on May 9, 1950.