Showing 326 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Acadian Club

  • Corporate body

The Acadian Club in Waterloo, Ontario was a social club for single and married men of German background. On May 5, 1916, the club rooms were raided by members of the 118th Batallion for the purpose of removing a bust of the Kaiser and in the course of the raid the club sustained damage to property and premises. The Club submitted a claim for damages to the government which, like the claim made by the Concordia Club of Kitchener for damages sustained during a previous raid by the 118th Batallion on Feb. 16 of the same year, was rejected. (Ontario and the First World War: a collection of documents / edited with an introduction by Barbara M. Wilson. -- Toronto: Champlain Society, 1977.)

Alpha Delta Kappa. Province of Ontario Chapter

  • Corporate body

Alpha Delta Kappa is an honorary sorority for women educators, founded in 1947 by Agnes Shipman Robertson, Marie Neal, Marion Southall and Hattie Poppino. Their aim was to recognize and support the professional efforts of women educators. Now an international society with headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri, Alpha Delta Kappa has more than 1800 chapters in the United States, Australia, Canada, Jamaica, Mexico and Puerto Rico. Ontario Alpha, Windsor, was the first chapter from outside the United States and received its charter in Sept. 30, 1957. Other Ontario chapters followed: Beta, 1958, based in Toronto and Gamma, in Windsor, in 1961. By 1964 Delta, Zeta and Epsilon Chapters had been formed. In October 1966 these six chapters met to form a provincial organization, and after becoming a "state" of Alpha Delta Kappa, continued to add chapters. By 1968 Eta, Theta, Iota and Kappa chapters had joined. In 1970-72 affiliation of Ontario chapters with American state chapters was dropped and Ontario was organized into three districts, with chapters reporting to the Provincial President. By 1980 twenty-two chapters had been organized, including two in Manitoba. Membership in Alpha Delta Kappa is by invitation only. To be eligible for membership a woman must be an educator actively engaged in teaching, administration or some other aspect of the teaching profession.

Annapolis County

  • Corporate body

Annapolis County is a county in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia located in the western part of the province on the Bay of Fundy. The county seat is Annapolis Royal. Established August 17, 1759 by Order in Council, Annapolis County took its name from the town of Annapolis Royal which had been named in honour of Anne, Queen of Great Britain. It was near the previous site of Port Royal, the chief Acadian settlement in the area. The Acadians had been forcibly removed by British government officials in the 1755 Grand Dérangement.

Architectural Conservancy of Ontario : North Waterloo Region Branch

  • Corporate body

The Architectural Conservancy of Ontario was established in 1933 and since that time has worked actively to preserve Ontario's architectural and environmental heritage. The North Waterloo Region Branch was established in 1980 and covers the cities of Kitchener and Waterloo, as well as the townships of Wellesley, Wilmot, and Woolwich.

Arthur

  • Corporate body

Atlantic Pattern Works

  • Corporate body

Atlantic Pattern Works was based in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. They produced works such as plaques.

Beal

  • Corporate body

Bremner Biscuit Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1905-

ca. 1865: Civil War veteran David Francis Bremner (1839-1922) opened a bakery in Cairo, Illinois. David moved the bakery to Chicago, Illinois sometime before 1871.

1889-1890: The American Biscuit & Manufacturing Company was formed by attorney Adolphus Green through the amalgamation of 40 Midwestern bakeries including the Bremner bakery in Chicago, Illinois. The new company was headquartered in Chicago, Illinois and David Bremner served as its President.

1898: The American Biscuit & Manufacturing Company merged with the New York Biscuit Company and the United States Baking Company to form the National Biscuit Company. The new company was headquartered in Chicago, Illinois and Adolphus Green served as its President.

1902: The original Bremner Butter Wafer was created.

1905: Bremner Brothers Biscuits Company established by David Bremner's sons. This company produced the Bremner Brothers Butter Wafer, the predecessor to Bremner Wafers. At some point, the company was renamed the Bremner Biscuit Company.

1984: Bremner Biscuit Company moved to Denver, Colorado.

1999: Bremner Biscuit Company was acquired by Dare Foods Limited.

2011: The Bremner Biscuit Company plant in Denver, Colorado closed. The production of water crackers was moved to Dare Foods Limited's plant in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The production of Bremner Wafers was outsourced to Venus Wafers in Hingham, Massachusetts.

Canada

  • Corporate body

Canada. Department of Veterans' Affairs

  • Corporate body
  • 1928-

Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) is the department within the Government of Canada with responsibility for pensions, benefits and services for war veterans, retired and still-serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces and Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), their families, as well as some civilians.

Canada. Royal Canadian Air Force

  • Corporate body
  • 1924-

The Canadian Air Force (CAF) was established in 1920 as the successor to a short-lived two-squadron Canadian Air Force that was formed during the First World War in Europe. In 1923, the CAF became responsible for all flying operations in Canada, including civil aviation. In 1924, the Canadian Air Force, was granted the royal title, becoming the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF).

Canadian Obesity Network Student and New Professional University of Waterloo chapter

  • Corporate body
  • 2013-

The Canadian Obesity Network Student and New Professional University of Waterloo chapter began in 2013. From their constitution, the mission statement of the organization is to "1. To provide students and new professionals the forum to build, maintain, and refine networking and professional development skills that are integral in pursuing a career related to obesity in academic, community, and/or industry settings, as well as advance awareness of CON."

Community Resources for People in Conflict with the Law

  • Corporate body
  • 2002-

A bail supervision and verification program operating in the Regional Municipality of Waterloo through offices in Kitchener and Cambridge. The program provides services in co-operation with the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General to assist persons in conflict with the law in the period between when charges are laid and their cases are finally brought to court for trial or disposition. The programs serve youth (ages 12-15) with support from donations in the community and adults over the age of 16 with funding from the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General.

These two programs stem from the early 1970's when Young People in Legal Difficulty was launched in Kitchener-Waterloo for youth aged 12-25. Former colleagues and staff of the original program created a new community organization in 1976 called Youth in Conflict with the Law, continuing to offer bail supervision to youth. This program was maintained by charitable donations and occasional government grants until 1979. At that point, the program was offered the opportunity to participate in a pilot project sponsored by the provincial Ministry of Corrections.

Youth in Conflict with the Law continues to offer a bail program for youth 12-15 years of age, while the Waterloo Regional Bail Program extends services to all adults 16 and older. Tradition has established that both programs are generally referred to in the courts and the community as "Youth in Conflict."

Today the programs are operated under the banner of Community Resources for People in Conflict with the Law.

Concordia Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1930-

The Concordia Club originated as the Concordia Male Choir in October, 1873 when Berlin (now Kitchener) had a population of approximately 3,000 people, the majority of whom were of German origin.

The choir quickly became famous for its excellent performances and played a central role in organizing the grand "Sangerfests" which were very popular in this region from the 1870's until the outbreak of WWI.

With the onset of World War I, the activities of Concordia had to be discontinued. However, in 1924 with the impetus provided by a large number of German immigrants to Kitchener, the club was reorganized, and on Feb. 10, 1925 officially incorporated as the "German Club, Kitchener, Ont." The club grew rapidly and branched out to embrace a much wider remit of activities and goals.

On Dec. 15, 1930 a charter in the name of "Concordia Club" was obtained. WWII interrupted operations again but the club was reestablished by its members in 1948, and grew quickly as a result of renewed high levels of German immigration. The club offered an ever increasing range of cultural activities through its growing number of sub-groups.

In 1954 the club purchased premises for the first time at Matlock Gardens at 429 Ottawa St. South in Kitchener, and in 1965 the Concordia Farm was purchased at Baden with a view to providing leisure and recreational facilities for club members. On the night of Nov. 17, 1971 a major fire destroyed most of the club premises. Plans to rebuild were quickly put in place. The new club premises were officially opened by Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau in the same location on Oct. 6, 1972. In 1973 the club celebrated its 100th birthday, and marked this occasion by a week-long itinerary of events including two gala dinner-dances.

Today the Concordia Club is the largest of the German-Canadian Clubs in Kitchener. It strives to preserve German language, customs, and traditions, and serves as a place where old and new Canadians of German descent can meet. Choral music still forms a very important part of Concordia's year-round activities, but the club also offers its members a wide range of other cultural as well as sporting and social activities through its many other subgroups.

The Concordia Club has played a valuable role in promoting the preservation of the German language through its founding of the German Language School Concordia in 1970, and its continued support of the school after it was integrated into the Waterloo County public school system in 1973. The German literary competition introduced by Concordia in 1979, and its donation of scholarships to students of German language in local universities have also played an important role here.

The club also places priority on caring for its aged members, and the club was behind the decision to secure land for a seniors residence for the German-Canadian community in 1983. As a result of the efforts of Concordia the Senioren Haus Concordia Inc. was founded as a separate non-profit corporation with a board of directors comprising representatives from all German clubs in Kitchener. In 1984 the Senioren Haus Concordia was officially opened, and in 1990 the building of a second seniors' residence, Villa Concordia, was completed.

The Concordia Club can also be given credit for introducing a new Oktoberfest concept to the Kitchener-Waterloo area in 1967 when the club proposed that Oktoberfest take the form of a public celebration to be held over several days. Oktoberfest has been celebrated in this fashion ever since. Significantly the Concordia Club has always made donations to charitable organizations from Oktoberfest profits.

Cress, Noah

  • Corporate body
  • 1895-1897

Dare Foods Limited

  • Corporate body
  • 1889-Present

Dare Foods Limited is a family-owned business based in Kitchener, Ontario. It manufactures cookies, crackers, candies and fine breads at its seven plants in Ontario, Quebec and South Carolina. Dare candies are made in Toronto and Milton, Ontario.

In 1889, Charles H. Doerr opened a grocery store on the corner of Breithaupt and Gzowski (now Weber) Streets in Berlin (now Kitchener, Ontario) that by 1892 had become a biscuit-manufacturing operation. In 1919 a larger bakery was built in Kitchener to replace the original plant and at the same time a line of candies was added. In 1942 the Kitchener plant was destroyed by a fire and in 1943 a smaller wartime replacement was constructed on a former flying field on the outskirts of Kitchener. A new office building was constructed in Kitchener in 1952. In 2003 a new Kitchener office building was constructed to preserve and highlight the original 1952 yellow-brick structure.

The company now known as Dare Foods Limited was originally known as the C.H. Doerr Co. When Charles H. Doerr died in 1941 his grandson, Carl M. Doerr, became President of the company and began an expansion program that introduced Dare products in more than 40 countries. In 1945 the company and family name was changed from “Doerr” to “Dare” creating The Dare Company, Limited, later renamed Dare Foods Limited. With the help of his sons Bryan and Graham, Carl Dare continued to guide Dare Foods Ltd. until 2002. In Nov. 2002 Fred Jacques was appointed as President, the first non-family member to head the company in 111 years. Bryan and Graham Dare remain co-chairmen of the company’s Board of Directors.

The business history of Dare Foods is complex: it has formed, acquired, merged and dissolved other companies and its own divisions over the years. One of Carl M. Doerr’s first expansion acquisitions was The Howe Candy Company in Hamilton, Ontario. Other acquisitions include Saratoga Products, St. Jacobs Canning Company, Mother Dell’s Bakeries, Dairy Maid Chocolates, Bremner Biscuit Co., Saputo/Culinar CFS.

In 1960 a sales office was opened in Montreal, establishing Les Aliments Dare Limitée, Dare’s selling and distributing organization in the Province of Quebec. The Western Division was established in 1962 with the opening of a bakery and sales office in North Surrey, Vancouver, B.C., serving British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.

In 1954 The Dare Company, Limited was the first Canadian cookie company to use the new recloseable tin tie packages that had been used successfully in the coffee industry and which have become standard packaging in the cookie industry in Canada.

Denny and the Dinos

  • Corporate body

Denny and the Dinos was made up of graduate students in the Faculty of Environmental Studies at the University of Waterloo.

Results 1 to 100 of 326