Title and statement of responsibility area
Kitchener Downtown Mall
General material designation
- Moving images
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on film label
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Kitchener-Waterloo Record
Physical description area
1 film reel (60 m) : col. ; 16 mm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on Feb. 9, 1878, and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in Jan. 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Co. and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by W.V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, W.D. Euler and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. Thus the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.
The Berliner Journal began in Dec. 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen St. S in Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his some William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by W.D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.
In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King St. W. to a new building at Queen and Duke St., 30 Queen St. N., where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. (Source: Kitchener-Waterloo Record Centennial Souvenir, Feb. 8, 1978. For the later history of this paper, see this Wikipedia article.)
Scope and content
Film approximately 7:20 minutes in length of Kitchener Mall a pedestrianized stretch of King Street East in downtown Kitchener during the summer months. Pedestrians and cyclists are seen moving along sidewalks and crossing streets, with the occasional trolleybus passing by. Parking spaces are painted in white hash marks with numerous tree-filled planters, flowerbeds, and benches positioned within and along them. Shots of flower beds, sculptures, a water fountain donated by the Big Brothers Association, and people seated on patios and benches appear through out. Buildings and storefronts visible include: Odeon, Eaton's, Kresge, Dutch Boy Food Market, Strand Bowl, Palladium Restaurant, Lyric theatre, Pennsylvania Kitchen, Goudies Department Store, the Walper Hotel, Queen's Restaurant, the Toronto Dominion Bank, Grafton's, Woolworth's, Sally's, Zeller's, Jack Fraser, Herman Lippert Mens Wear, Young's Jewellers, Samer's, and Frank's Mens Wear.
7.5 inch can. Oversize.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Digitized in 2016.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Kaufman building partially visible in distance at beginning of film.
Kitchener-Waterloo Record label included on canister reads: "Kitchener Downtown Mall 1967 200 ft Kodachrome"